The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My next adventure
My 4 spd crash box was fully rebuilt a few years ago and I'm more than happy about its well being. A certain beardy bloke drove the car last year and he said it was the quietest 4sp crash he's ever driven. (His words). I certainly wouldn't pay £40 for a lever and top without having a good look at it first.
Mine howls like a banshee in 2nd but I love it - it's my surrogate supercharger!
My 4speed crash box has an annoying buzz at speed (well, from 35mph on) but is otherwise sound in wind and limb. And yes, Chris, mine howls in second. I'm sure its a straight cut gear thing.
The chrome gear indicator dish has a habit of vibrating against the dome and the lever. I cut a disc of 1mm silicone sheet and fitted it between the two of them. Some silicone sealant between the gear indicator and the lever to eliminate movement also helps.
Well, I guess I'm ready even though there's another fortnight and a bit to go. The car is checked, greased, fuelled, levelled and packed with spares & tools. I'm happy that I've got most things to keep the old girl going without overdoing it. The plan is now to stop fiddling and just leave it alone until I'm ready to set off.

With the engine being recently re-fettled I am planning to change the oil somewhere along the route, probably before I tackle the Pyrennées and possibly again on the way back.

I have bought several larger scale Michelin maps for the Spanish sections and I have a Berlitz phrase book and Google Translate on my phone in case I have to converse with the locals. I'm not planning on using Sat-Nav except for locating the hotels at the end of each stage, or in the event that I get lost and end up in Portugal.

I will endeavour to take plenty of photos on the way and keep you abreast of progress.
Looking forward to hearing all about it Reckless!
I don't know about Portugal, but if you turn up in Prestiegne we'll know you're lost.
As part of the preparations I appraised our local mayor about the project and we had a short meeting today to bring him and the local councillors up to speed. This involved a photo session in front of the town hall with him, me and the car, and then he was given a quick run round the village to keep him sweet. There will be an article in the next edition of the village journal once I get back. I will post a photo on here and on the whatsapp group just before I set off. He was quite taken with what I'm up to as nothing much happens here apart from funerals.
Rather than clogging up the "What have you done today thread" I thought I'd post some pics on here. My little 9,34€ 6volt to 12volt converter arrived today from the far east, via Turkey of all places and earlier than expected so I have wired it in and happilly, it works a treat. I now have a cigar lighter socket and USB socket working off 12volts so both the Sat-Nav and the phone will charge from the 6volt system.

Link here for the widget: LINK 

Link here for the Cigar & USB socket: LINK

Total cost of the two under seat covers (both sides) plus the central storage box (made from an off cut of 3/8" ply, USB power sockets, wiring and the widget - 15,97€

It is wired to the battery using crocodile clips, in case I have to remove it quickly, but there is also an illuminated on/off power switch on the battery cover next to the driver's seat so I can switch it off when I'm not using the car and to stop it draining the battery. I'm happy now that both the Sat-Nav and my phone can be charged whilst on the move.

[Image: 20190908-170617.jpg]

[Image: 20190908-170922.jpg]

[Image: 20190908-171039.jpg]

[Image: 20190908-170420.jpg]
That's clever!

Incidentally, I like your under-seat toolbox covers. Were they standard? My first RP saolon didn't have them and my present one doesn't either.