The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thumblist - Line: 1031 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 1031 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 832 get_post_attachments
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Neverwas" AVQ van goes home at last!
Nearly two years ago, we were commissioned to rebuild a hideous van conversion on a Mk 1 Ruby chassis. 

A previous owner had cut off the back end of the saloon body and, seemingly without a lot of thought, had attempted to build an all-steel van body.  Crude, ugly and immensely heavy, an early decision was to scrap it and replace it.  

There was, of course, never a Mark 1 Ruby van.  We decided to adapt one of our standard AVK (Mark 2 Ruby) van bodies to fit the ARQ front end.

This job has been something of a pot-boiler, but is now finished - bar painting - and was collected by the customer yesterday.  Satisfaction all round, its seems!

So, to latch onto another current thread, who wants to commission a "Woody"?

Apologies for the commercial!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A wonderful job - just wondering why you didn't paint the new van body in a grey colour that matches the front
Thanks, Roger. It's just in primer at the moment; our customer will be doing the paint job. The steel panels are in a standard primer, but most of the new work is panelled in aluminium and so is painted with an etching primer, which is a different shade of grey.
All that artwork certainly seems somewhat wasted hidden in a van. What a contrast with modern vans, all done with a few blows of a giant press!
A woody would seem the ideal device to display your skills. Presumably there was also some other motive for building them inside out?
The state my ORT is in, it wouldn't take much to remove the rear end...
Very impressive, Martin, just one comment: you need to drill 3 large holes in each of the back door linings to provide the ventilation through the louvres!
That looks the business in my book! A lovely job.
I just noticed a van body on eBay....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Seven-...1438.l2649
I think that could be the body that came off the Neverwas by its location and user name !!
Ah, no flies on you, Nigel!

Duncan of course built the magnificent non-standard AVK fuel tank for the van.

Mike - Sssh! I realised as we loaded it into the van that we'd forgotten the ventilation holes!
Oops! Foot in mouth disease. I didn’t make the connection