The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Vacuum Wiper - How to connect to inlet manifold, where to put the vacuum pipe
Hello Steve,
Thank you for the link but still it's a lot of work and a totally different way of measurimg things. Something that I am not used to and really must think about. The link that you provided is indeed better than the simple version that I found... will keep the link in mind.
Regards
Frank
Was it not the Hubble telescope where space scientists got confused over mm to inch.....?
Hello David,
it was a NASA Mars Orbiter that was lost because some scientist used (quote CNN) "English units of measurements" and not "the more conventional metric system". At least I am aware of the difference but it is still time-consuming. While 1 3/8 is a nice number the metric equivalent is 3,4925.... Odd number, strange size. I think that is what confuses continental motorheads.
Regards
Frank
Thanks! I think 3.5mm is pretty close! Just to add confusion the BA (British Association) threads widely used on electrics have many Metric similarities! O BA to 6mm are very similar... Zenith Carburettors use many metric threads, even when UK made as they had French ancestors and Morris used many metric threads in his engines as may were Hotchkiss based! A minefield.
David
I'm one of the fortunate few who were taught the imperial system at school then my employers were worked to the metric system so I'm quite at home with imperial or metric.
Hi All

Like Dave I was schooled in imperial and worked in metric.  I "think" in imperial for feet and inches but below 1/2" my mind seems to revert to metric.  Unfortunately my mental arithmetic isn't very good when multiplying or dividing by 25.4.

Cheers

Howard
In my first job as a development technician I worked with a Hungarian. He use imperial units up to about 5ft then changed into metric.
Jim
(23-08-2019, 09:40 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: I'm one of the fortunate few who were taught the imperial system at school then my employers were worked to the metric system so I'm quite at home with imperial or metric.

Me too. Can think in either. Remembering that 1mm is 40 thou is very useful. Asking for a 2m length of 4" x 2" timber is still something that's done very often!

Steve
The conversion 25.4 mm to inch is very accurate and all that has to be remembered. The most basic pocket calculator, phone etc will multiply. For the amateur doing little work micrometers in either suffice. Old inch ones often very cheap. Many own cheap digital verniers which can be set to give an instant conversion, although these do need a battery.( Personally for direct measurement I prefer the direct reading ones as keeps the brain alert and you see exactly what measuring, and less inclined  to assume excessive accuracy. A quality 8 inch vernier calliper probably the most useful tool acquired although care necessary. Some elderly tote a magnifying glass! Saves having to carry an assortment of specs). A metric man will find totting up multiples of .025 inch on inch mics and verniers a bit strange.
Distinction between mm and cm needs care. I have seen tolerances in motor manuals which have confused. A micron (millionth of a metre) is less than half a ten thousandth inch. Can be confusing to calculate if you left school long ago. (microns used for ball bearing clearances and tolerances)
When used to working to thousands of inch, dial gauges, micrometers etc in .001 of a cm, 01 of a mm tend to lure into excessive exactness.
The 12 inches in a foot and yard likely more stressful to others.
Hello again,
back to the wipers. As soon as the new leather seals arrive I will try to get the wiper working. The only question that remains, is what sort of oil / lube / grease the seals need or withstand. Some say that vaseline will provide extra sealing, some say that oil (the stuff for seing machines and miner mechanical gadgets) will be perfect others talk about linseed oil. The worst thing would be to use the wrong lubricant and end up with a ruined wiper after some months... years... 
Kind regards
Frank