The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slight kick back on the starting handle
Apart from a supplementary one recently inherited, the 4 cars (incl 2 Sevens) I have owned down the ages have all had crank handles. On a myriad occasions after stoning the points I have reset ignition by turning the handle with the HT lead laid to produce a spark and listening for the crack whilst watching the marks. It has never occurred to me to otherwise slow crank the engine switched on!

Tend to think that either cyl fires or not but apparently without turbulence etc a very slow and feeble burn can result.
Eons ago an employer had a Fordson truck which seemed to often need cranking. It had a formidable kick back and the cause was a mystery at the time. I have found lawnmowers with wrong advance  also kick back. Several causes; an abrupt stop can cause the flywheel to rotate forward.

For decades one car with vac advance was hard to start and eroded distr studs. Eventually the rotor punctured. It transpired that for reasons never entirely fathomed it was firing beyond the end of the rotor.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Slight kick back on the starting handle - by Bob Culver - 10-08-2019, 04:09 PM