The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Brookfields Special
(31-08-2019, 06:56 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: I've also dipped two rusty wheels (acquired this week) in a bath of diluted molasses.  I'll let you know how that turns out in a couple of weeks!

Cheers

Howard

Good morning.

I would be interested to know how this is going and whether it is successful. I shall need to clean up some rusty wheels in due course and am debating between sending them off to be acid dipped, doing them at home by electrolysis or like your way.

Regards,

Jamie.
That is a possibility.  I was trying to avoid putting a tunnel mid way across the car which I think chassis level seats would entail. 

Perhaps a pair of tapered trays large enough to take your seat bases, let into the floor might drop the seat height, particularly at the rear ?
Are you planning to use standard seats or perhaps make a bucket type?
This would avoid the tunnel and you would keep most of the integrity of the floor.
Hi Jamie and Duncan

Jamie, I'll let you know in due course.  They've been in for two weeks but I'm going to be away most of this week and when they come out of the dip I want to pressure wash them, dry them and spray asap. 

Duncan, thanks for the idea but the 9mm ply seat base currently sits on a cross member and on two shaped supports running on top of the chassis extensions... RIGHT UNDER where the drivers bum goes.   Angry.  I may re-shape these supports to achieve a lower seating position.... Watch this space.

Cheers

Howard
My bodywork project is giving me similar problems as the C of G is high on the BSA. I'd like to lower the seat but it's not going to make a lot of difference to the forward weight and would leave me not being able to see over the scuttle! I'd have to lower the scuttle-mounted tank and fit a fuel pump to deal with that ...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(14-09-2019, 05:57 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Jamie and Duncan

Jamie, I'll let you know in due course.  They've been in for two weeks but I'm going to be away most of this week and when they come out of the dip I want to pressure wash them, dry them and spray asap. 

Cheers

Howard

Thank you.
Hi All

Glorious weather so after a trip out in the RK I sprayed the two "molasses" wheels with a final coat of Technogrip.  Some new tyres coming later in the week. Then beat hell out of a bit of aluminium.

Quite chuffed with my efforts but I still need to use the planishing hammer a bit more.  If I had one I guess that an English wheel would be the tool for the job?

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That is looking good, you should be able to get some size 10's into that bulge.
The wheeling machine IS just the tool for the job! Otherwise, get some ear defenders and a well-polished planishing hammer and a very smooth and polished stake. You'll hear the ring when you make good contact, if you don't hear it, it's missed the contact point!
Two ways to finish other than wheeling and plannishing: filler, and leaving it as is "for now" Smile
Hi David

Spent an hour quietly (it is Sunday) planishing, eventually resorting to filler.  It s going to be painted after all!

Sorry Duncan!!!

Cheers

Howard
Well reall, I'm shocked! I hope the vibration shakes that Devil's Gobbo out...