The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Brookfields Special
Hi All

Having received most of my engine bits from the machinist I am beginning to think about engine building BUT Ian’s latest post on “Building a special body” has sidetracked me to looking at windscreens.  SWMBO says we have to have one! Ian’s work is sublime by the way.

Here is an initial (well 3rd incarnation) of the likely shape.  Yes the Amilcar did feature in my thoughts. SWMBO doesn’t like it cos she won’t be able to see through it  Smile .

I’ve also turned down the outside and inside of an old front engine bearing by about a thou or two.  Reason.... I’m putting a 1 1/2 inch crank in a standard crankcase and I’m expecting it to “touch” the edges requiring attention with the Dremel.  So I may well have to put the crank in and take it out a few times. The modified front temporary bearing slips in and out without needing to heat the case “or” thump a brass rod near the front lip. The rear bearing will be a “Terrytuned” MMRJ (The inner race is independent from the rest of the bearing) so it will be much easier to remove the crank.

Crack on as Duncan would say.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   9BA086BD-5630-4D07-BB78-C9906E34F388.jpeg (Size: 100.03 KB / Downloads: 571)
I do like the shape of your proposed glass. The shape is so important as it sets a stamp on the whole aspect of the car.
I found it was worth spending £15.00 or so on some polycarbonate sheet from my local builders merchant. You can sit behind it (and go brum brum) to check you can just see over the top when you sit up straight. You can then justifiably avoid the need for a wiper should you so wish.
Also, a translucent panel does make a difference to the aspect and you may find you want to adjust the shape.
Crack on!
Duncan is spot-on !!, proportion and aesthetics are so important when building a special, yours is really looking cute now and a suitably shaped screen will work wonders.

A good friend of mine says "You can always explain why it doesn't go, but you can't explain why it doesn't look good"

Aye
Greig
Thanks Duncan and Greig

Some plexiglass is on order!

Cheers

Howard
Hi. All

Well I received the plexiglass and fabricated a frame. Nearly wore a felt tip out tracing profiles on the plastic.  This is the end result.  I still need to clean up and spray the frame.  Second pic shows that I can easily see over the glass.

Which brings me on to a question..... Does anyone use Polycarbonate for aero screens? Technically they are not windscreens and for pre 197? Cars there is no specific requirements anyway.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   30B35BBE-AA2F-4E02-8EB6-47CD70CFB9F4.jpeg (Size: 116.82 KB / Downloads: 342)
.jpeg   C302B08C-5E61-40EE-9B66-E5DEE16E0AFA.jpeg (Size: 115.35 KB / Downloads: 343)
Very Speedyish!
I like it! I suppose it's possible to use plexiglass or polycarbonate for a windscreen but I think I'd probably stick to triplex glass (out of ignorant prejudice?)
I like that a lot, it reminds me of the one on a lovely special Steve Hodgson made a decade ago - very period, nice work.
That's the ticket Howard, looks great, keeps the bugs out your teeth and you can still fit your tonneau relatively easily

As Duncan will say "crack on !!"

Aye
Greig
Thanks All 

Chris, I hadn’t twigged how similar the speedy screen is.  A quick look at Rinsey Mills confirmed. My inspiration was the twenties Amilcar.

Thanks for the kind words Duncan, Ruairidh and Greig.

I must concentrate on engine building this coming week!

Cheers

Howard