The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignition switch shorting out
The 27 Chummy has a "normal" Lucas switch panel - no sockets/fuses. It worked ok before I took it out (!) to get rid of the lethal wiring. All is now connected and working UNTIL.... I put the panel back in (pity Rivnuts weren't invented for another 10 years) When I turned the ignition on the ammeter went fully negative & it all got warm! then re set itself...moving the switch appears to make it happen...but only when the panel is attached top the Dash! 
With the panel out of the dash all seems ok, but using a probe & a test light it seems that the panel itself can be live.
The outer sleeve on the ign switch is live.....should it be, how is it insulated from the panel body where it passes through the panel... or from the spindle of the switch.
I have not dismantled the panel, it worked & looked undamaged, so if it ain't broke...., but something is wrong!
Sorted! The ignition/charging switch was clearly shorting out on the faceplate because the face plate was not parallel to the Bakelite(?) inner "frame". The ammeter was a bit skewed as well.
I disconnected every thing (again!) and removed the unit to the kitchen table. I slackened off the nuts holding the spacer posts and it was possible to move the faceplate to it's correct orientation & then the brass part of the switches was well (2mm ) clear of the face plate. As soon as I tightened the nuts I was back to where I started.
I removed both spacer posts & put a couple of fibre washers under them; when I tightened the plate/frame up the orientation was good. Just to make sure I araldited a nylon 1" spacer (just happened to have one in my box of bits)
near the warning light just to make sure it couldn't close up again. All now back together & working! - except the horn which has decided to go on a wildcat strike.
Glad you were able to fix it David - hopefully the horn won't put up too much of a fight!
Thanks Chris....problem now is that it starts & runs fine for about 5 seconds & then dies! When I moved it 10 days ago it was all good & drove well.
I expect it is fuel related... when it arrived from Seattle it only ran on full choke (24T2 Carb) & it was dirt in the main jet & the pipes. I had hoped it was all filtered now..... New filter is perfectly clear. There seems to be plenty of fuel getting to the carb.... Oh well it will have to come off again if it won't run today! I need a quick release fitting for my carburettors!
I'm not sure if it's relevant in your case David but one thing I learned the hard way is that if you are having your carb on and off the car, make 100% sure you don't have an air leak between carb and manifold or manifold to block. I spent 3 days trying to understand why my newly re-built engine wouldn't run and I'm determined to tell everyone!
What I would do David is think what have I done since it last ran ok. It may give you a clue as to what is wrong. I am surprised that it totally fails to run. Normally things run rough first with carb problems before total failure. When it stops after the five minutes what do you do to get it restarted. This will help with diagnosis.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
If it's a large rust flake blocking the exit in the tank and too large to enter the filter , you may run out of fuel until more trickles in, and nothing shows in the gauze.
Took the carb off and a couple of things were obvious!
Main jet WAS blocked
There was a strange blue deposit at the intake of the carb & in the filter! No Idea what it was. I didn't strip the carb right down as the new top to body gasket was very firmly stuck & I don't have another spare, so I don't know if the blue is in the float chamber etc....
Drained & filtered the rest of the fuel in the tank...all clear, only a couple of litres. Put 5 new litres in, connected it all up & away she went.
What is the blue gunge? consistency of very, very fine mud. It had stained the brass banjo, but rubbed off!
I don't know what blocked the main jet, whether the blue stuff or just dirt.
Let's see what happens over the next few days.