The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
early car angled number plates
(07-09-2022, 08:01 AM)JonE Wrote: exactly. Which batch is the police car in out of interest, Nick? I do forget about those images, and they aren't easy to flick through for an eZ gallery!

This one?

.jpeg   158_08_03_21_3_26_24.jpeg (Size: 192.42 KB / Downloads: 216)

When I set up the Gallery I really had no idea it was going to grow to its present size.  If you would like to suggest how to make searching easier, I am open to ideas. I had no idea which photo Nick was meaning, but just searching the 1922-30 tourers section I managed to find it in just a few seconds.
aha - yes, that must be it. I was searching in saloons, thinking of lights on top...! We have established/common bracket types by then so the registration plate is still going to be essentially vertical, isn't it?

Mike - that wasn't meant to be offensive, it is just that you can't scan through them with an arrow forward/back. I happen to have a very small computer screen! As with the forum, it's slightly quirky software but I wouldn't want to suggest doing anything else otherwise it won't bring people onto the forum...
No problem, Jon, I didn't take it as offensive; I just wondered whether there was anything I could amend to make searching easier. As you say, the Forum software is pretty basic, and there's not much we can do about that.
To be strictly legal number plates should, I believe, be flat, mounted vertically and face directly to the front or rear of the vehicle so it seems especially odd that a police car would be fitted with the front one sloping !
The police these days have, I suspect, little interest in the legality of old cars on the road. Nevertheless I am surprised by the number of owners of various makes who ‘bend the rules’ regarding number plates. Common examples to be seen are :
Painting the number plate on the sides of the tail of Ulsters, Bugattis etc. even directly on to the body colour is  quite common whilst Alfa Romeo owners often use tiny, curved, number plates on the front of their cars whilst E type and Mini owners stick the front number plate on the bonnet.
Although flat and vertical I’m not sure that the arc shape of rear number plate used on the Speedy is strictly within the law but that is how they originally were.
(07-09-2022, 03:55 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(07-09-2022, 08:01 AM)JonE Wrote: exactly. Which batch is the police car in out of interest, Nick? I do forget about those images, and they aren't easy to flick through for an eZ gallery!

This one?

Sorry Jon, That's the fellow I was thinking of. I assumed you'd find it when you started trawling through the photos, or else I'd have screen shot and posted it in here for you.

If it's not a silly question, what ever got you set on investigating the angle of the front number plates?
The Speedy number plate is quite legal' The main requirements are specific dimensions for each letter and the space around them, but there is no requirement for the plate itself to be rectangular. Motorcycles were originally required to have a front plate (well actually two, one facing each side) and these were usually curved to follow the shape of the mudguard.
(08-09-2022, 01:15 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: If it's not a silly question, what ever got you set on investigating the angle of the front number plates?

I always look at the (few) restored cars and think they look odd, and that it could be one of those situations where restorer detail potentially re-invents itself over the years...?
In my time a uniform as scruffy and creased as that would earn you a bollocking from the Sergeant...
Well at least he looks like a policeman which is more than can be said of those of today.