The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Joss Campbell Special
I have mentioned my friend Joss a few times on previous threads, he is an extremely skilled panel beater with an exceptional eye who has been involved the creation of a number of cars over the years. Some time ago we had been discussing the need for an attractive LWB special which was not a stretched ulster, we were both of the opinion that lengthening the cockpit of such cars somewhat spoilt the lines. I suggested to Joss he should build something along ulster lines that would fill this void, something which was recognisably Austin and which they could have built on an LWB chassis. He started to construct a prototype which has since evolved into his own special, there are lots of nice period features without over complicating things. Recently Joss has been suffering some illness so whilst he is recovering I decided to take away his chassis to paint and refurbish it with the assistance another mutual friend Ian Watson. I felt that the car deserves a thread of its own and hopefully Joss can be persuaded to comment as the thread progresses. This is where we are up to today

The chassis is very simple, 1934 Ruby, with Nippy/Ulster suspension, one immobilised shackle, a steering column lengthened 4", stiffened nose piece and thats about it.
Black Art Enthusiast
Lovely idea - these type of threads really help for seeing how others have gone about things over time. Will be great to see some pics of the evolving body!
Hi Ian

This has the makings of a great thread.  Please send my good wishes to Josh with a hope he gets well soon (we've never met but I've heard bits about him on the forum).

Incidentally I would be interested to know how you stiffen the nose piece (I think this is the front spring bracket described in spare parts booklets issued by Austin?)

Cheers

Howard
Very interesting IAN.

I've never ventured fully into doing my own body for a car, so it's always exciting to see what can be done by skilled hands.

On that front spring, you could have gotten away with a standard axle?

Tony.
Well Tony the spring is completely flat and there is no load on it yet and as I am sure you are aware they settle after being reset, it may end up with less leaves once the car is complete, so just a starting point at present. I had to make a spring wedge to get the castor sensible but thats not unusual, I will post some pictures of how we have stiffened the nose, my car is the same but with a whole lot more complication elsewhere!
Black Art Enthusiast
Ian,

Here is a photo of the nose piece strengthening I took when Ivan was doing the welding a couple of weeks ago.

Marcus

Here are a couple of pictures of the floor pan components prior to assembly 

Black Art Enthusiast
The nose plating is interesting. What thickness plate? Is the welding straightforward? Does the plate get welded into the rail as well?
Ian,

Would be interested to know what gauge of steel was used for the floorpan.
The nose is plated with 14g steel and the end is hot riveted back onto the rail, another friend of ours Ivan did the welding, he is a certified welder and commented that the steel welded beautifully. 

The floor is constructed of 18g steel which is the same thickness that Austin used for their floor pans. Attached here are a couple of shots of an assembled floor, Joss made three in total, one for himself and two others for paying customers, there are one or two detail differences but essentially all are the same. 

Black Art Enthusiast