The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three speed box - changing position of first gear...
According to the booklet 'List of Production Changes', the new ball change gear lever was introduced 29th October 1929 (chassis 99001) superseding the gate change but with the 'LH down first gear' and reversed selector fork box assembly 

At the same time the bacon slicer starter was changed to the direct drive and the starter button was moved to the transmission tunnel.

I don't remember- but my first 1929 fabric saloon must have had this new 'opposite hand' ball change

Apparently the new ball change gear lever soon reverted to the earlier change pattern 'RH down first gear' with the original selector fork type around July 1930 (chassis 113068)- after only 7 months production.

Not sure why the reversed change pattern was selected but it obviously wasn't popular.  Did I read somewhere that a few new cars had this ?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Three speed box - changing position of first gear... - by Tony Press - 15-05-2019, 03:49 AM