The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice please- 16 year old and an A7 bitsa
I’m after a bit of advice please.

My 16 year old grandson is starting to take a much greater interest in old cars (he’s currently in the process of applying for a heritage engineering apprenticeship) and would like to gather up the parts to build an Austin Seven.

Being 16 means not having much money, so the thought was to collect parts over a number of years gradually restoring them along the way, then building a replica body. (Of course, doing things this way probably doesn’t save much money, it’s just that the costs can be spread over a number of years)

That’s the thought, and how I did my A7 30 years ago (although mine was just a special) but I believe the situation has changed have with the DVLA. I think you can still get an age related number as a “made up” car, but the body could be an issue if it’s new? - or has sense now prevailed as long as the body is a replica of a recognised model?

Obviously the ideal would be to get a complete project with number etc. but that’s going to be out of the question on cost grounds. 

Current thinking is not another Ulster! - I have always been interested in the Gordon England construction methods, so would love to help him with a replica of one of these- probably a Cup if enough build information can be found.

Any thoughts and comments on a bonkers idea/ project would be most welcome.

Thanks 
Colin
What about something a bit different Colin, Ulsters as you say are common place Cups are rapidly becoming the same, what about an Arrow, Hoyal, Jarvis, KC or similar there are some great photos available and metal bashing is not as hard as many imagine. Cant help with the current UK legislation but if here were a 16 year old here in NZ who was serious about building a car I would provide a kit of bits and all the help needed to make it happen. And if anyone wants in NZ wants an Ulster come along to our body building classes here in Auckland and we will show you how to build an authentic replica, cost is just $10 a session, 9.30am to 3pm ish fortnightly in New Lynn.
Black Art Enthusiast
Buy a box saloon body off ebay. Build a car from bits. A agre related plate would be a formality. Whearas a 'Special' is still a bit iffy unless you fork out for a chassis with a V5.

Box saloon bits are easier to find and cheaper than parts of a more sporty nature. 

Dad bought me a vintage box saloon body 27 years ago while I was a teenager. It was on the road the year after I graduated from University. I went to work in it today. 

Its an excellent idea if he has the interest.
Hi Colin, I recently built up a special from parts. I kept all the running gear correct for the year of the chassis and with no modifications apart from a steering wedge. The body is of new construction. With the assistance of the PWA7C getting it registered with an age related registration was straightforward so yes, I think sense has prevailed.
Colin,

Picking up parts for any build is one thing, picking them up cheap can be a hole lot harder.

Parts come to market a hole lot less nowadays, and although there are no longer large amounts of cheap austin 7 bits at autojumbles. They still throw up serprised.

As pointed out on another thread, beaulieu is coming up. There may be nothing there. But on the other hand if you want a cheap build you have to get out there and look. And get out there early.

The other events will come up fast through the summer.

If you are serious about building something, draw out your wanted and needed list now. And get out there.

Otherwise it's one more year added to the build.

Tony.
Accepting the lack of immediate funds, it would be interesting to compare the cost of going the route of assembling as per Dave's post versus staying with a tired, complete, old box saloon and 'restoring'. I'd anticipate the parts cost for the latter would be less (buying as a complete car) but then one is stuck with the moral duty of not destroying something. There is also no real cost to registering a new project... other than emotional, and patience.
The budgets probably balance out in the end with the increased value of the 'tourer' on the logbook? I wonder if there is any difference in the learning process. I think I would have intuited more and better if I'd had an undisturbed complete wreck to make sense of, rather than piles of bits and a book or two.
It is still possible to collect parts cheaply, but should expect to have to do quite a lot of work to make them fit for use.

We're building a 1933 van from scratch, with a budget of £1,000. I had the benefit of a pile of scrap parts to start with, so you should realistically expect to double that, but it can be done.

I had wondered whether, when the time comes, to register it fitted with a rough RP saloon body and then re-body it as a van, but I get the impression now that an accurate replica van with an original front end and floorpan shouldn't be too difficult to register.
I think spot on Martin. I will have a look at what it cost to build mine in a bit more detail but think no more than £2500. I enjoy the searching out of parts, and the pleasure to me is saving parts that otherwise may find themselves in the scrap bin.
The major factor in keeping the cost down is not to be in a hurry. Set yourself a maximum budget for a particular component and sooner or later one will come up somewhere at the right price.

I'd also suggest finding a copy of an original parts list. I use one to keep track of how much of my kit I have.
Thanks very much for all of the replies. All very helpful and useful.

Unfortunately can’t do Beaulieu next weekend, but will hopefully have a stall in September, so for a change Friday could be for searching out Austin and not Delage parts.

After I built my Seven special all those years ago I swore that I would never do another basket case / bitsa....then did a Riley special, and my Delage came in many boxes!

The ridiculous situation with DVLA and replica bodies is still a worry, but I like idea of trying to find a box saloon body - are there many “beyond hope” bodies out there still...it would be great to find a SWB fabric or similar.

Thanks again!