The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam follower Guides
Hi

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to fit cam follower guides correctly.
i've reached the point on my engine rebuild where the guides need fitting and i can only see hours of pain and frustration in getting the pairs to line up correctly with the flats Confused

Thanks....
The "flat" on the flange presses into the appropriate cutout in the block. I Use an old cam follower and a spanner to twist the guides to align them, then pull them down with a big "G" clamp.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Thanks for the tips Rick, much appreciatedĀ  Smile
Hi Graham,

You could try knocking them in in pairs - with something softish of course - they usually aren't that tight.

Dave
Hi Graham I use an old cam follower with 2 plain washers bolted on top to knock them in, if you are using a reground cam or followers make sure the
tappet locknut does not foul the top of the guide.
Hi Chaps

All sorted.
I eased them in in pairs and seated them with a nylon mallet.
I checked a follower in each guide for smoothness and i had one which was binding slightly, so a quick rub with a needle file and everything is nice a smooth !

Thanks Terry, i am a bit far off checking clearances, but i will bear in mind you tip.