The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sports in Neston
I see the Tardis has moved and changed colour!

The Neston Austin 7 I’m sure has a split windscreen which must cut down the possibilities.
The wings may have been replaced as they look like
Alloy motorcycle wings and I think the front ones have mud flaps.

So don’t turn with the wheels?

The shape of the door top may be a clue as well?

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Ok, so it's definitely not a Hoyal or a KC.
Has anyone got access to the Austin 7 bit on the Morris Minor site, as they have lots of coachbuilts but have recently become member only access sadly.
How about a Mulliner, either the 1929 Sunshine coupe or Sports coupe.
See photos 637 + 640 in the Source Book.

.jpg   Unknown A7-4.jpg (Size: 193.71 KB / Downloads: 256)
Oh well, it's a bank holiday and time to waste...
(06-05-2019, 09:24 AM)JonE Wrote: Ok, so it's definitely not a Hoyal or a KC...

I don't think we can say that, Jon. Although it may not match those examples for which we have illustrations, there is nothing to say either coachbuilder didn't also build slightly different styles. Taylor, for example produced a standard 'Semi-Sports' which is the usual one illustrated (with several subltle variations between examples), but they also built the Launch (at least two different versions) and the Ace. The wings on the Neston car look a bit too fancy to just be motorcycle replacements - both front and rear have upsweeps at the ends.
(06-05-2019, 11:26 AM)NickB Wrote: How about a Mulliner, either the 1929 Sunshine coupe or Sports coupe.
See photos 637 + 640 in the Source Book.

I agree Nick, the car in Tony's picture shares many features. The only obvious anomaly being the top door line - which could have been altered.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/austin7nut/7487772530/
[attachment=6371]
(06-05-2019, 04:37 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 09:24 AM)JonE Wrote: Ok, so it's definitely not a Hoyal or a KC...

The wings on the Neston car look a bit too fancy to just be motorcycle replacements - both front and rear have upsweeps at the ends.
The rear wings of both do look remarkably similar and are definitely not motorcycle - the front wings on the Hoyal have a very deep inner valance, clearly visible in the large picture. What's the bulge immediately below the line of the rear door? There is the hint of a shadow in the same region on the unknown. Is a 1200 d.p.i. scan of the orignal postcard available?

Attached Files
.jpg   Unknown A7-5.jpg (Size: 123.38 KB / Downloads: 135)
That looks like its in line with the rear chassis cross-member, so the body was presumably too narrow to overlap without the bulge ... it would probably have been easier and cheaper to put a hacksaw to the chassis!
Might the unknown have the same pressed-steel "dummy chassis horns" of the Mulliner? There does seem to be something at the front "blocking the view".
Yes, Nicks suggestion of the Mulliner is in the right proportion whereas the others have much shorter saloon style bonnet/scuttle combos. It would need it to be an entirely different model with a different rake column.

And there is definitely the hint of the Mulliner dummy horn things, as well as the screen. And the right wings! Vents in sill area also visible.

Attached Files
.jpg   008_1762.jpg (Size: 72.6 KB / Downloads: 112)
.png   Screenshot 2019-05-06 20.09.07.png (Size: 557.07 KB / Downloads: 108)