The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what books do I need? (and other things)
Next Questions for tonight.

You may recall that I live in Toronto, so, parts and shipping will always be an issue.

Next Month SWMBO & I will be in London for at least a week. (16 - 23 of May or son in case anyone knows of a show or event that would be local to the London area)

With the car I received the book The Austin Seven by Wyatt. I have on hold, the book The Austin Seven Manual by Woodrow. 

Are there any other publications that I should pick up/ order while in the country?

Also, are there any other things that I need to get - especially things that might not be available at a later date.

I am not anxious about tires - they will I am sure be available in a few years when I need them.

Somewhere while googling these wee cars I found a thread (not sure if this forum or another) where someone was discussing cast brake drums - the foundry was closing and some castings were lost. Are these available? Are they worth getting? 

Likewise, I presume there are bushings somewhere, are they readily available?

Is there anything that you would stockpile now knowing that it might be a few years before you actually start on the car?

thanks all!
JP
JP I'd really recommend the Woodrow book !!

Dad got into 7's in the '50's so over the years we have gathered pretty much all of the books that are available, lots of good info, but those that are the most useful are the Wyatt book you have, Motoring for the Millions, then the 750 Motor Club publications - I refer to this as the Competition Handbook (It's just an amalgamation of all the tips and advice from the guys who were racing them in the early days) and then of course Woodrow's excellent manual

The suppliers are hugely helpful and stock 99% of what you will need mechanically and then of course the members here who are courteous and helpful and usually come up with some obscure bit when you need it most.

Just my 2 Pence worth

Aye
Greig
Hi JP
A search on Book Reviews may be helpful. It is a bit tedious sifting the wheat from the chaff but the various UK club sites info useful. And the suppliers catalogues and all the handbooks and spares lists reprints which thay provide on line.
Hi,
There is a whole library of literature available from the Pre War Austin 7 Club. The guy who runs this is Graham Beckett who is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful with anything to do with Austin 7's so I'm sure he would be able to advise accordingly as to what may be best for you.
The club website is www.pwa7c.co.uk where you can probably see a list of stuff. His email (as listed in the club magazine so I guess (hope!) it doesn't breach any data protection laws) is gabeckett@tiscali.co.uk
Hope that helps in your search for suitable publications and that they help in your restoration of the Austin!
Best wishes,
Nick
The problem with book reviews as I see it is the reviewer, like Greig, I own most material published, it all has value in one form or another provided you take the time to digest, cross-reference and understand the context of the time it was written. There is no publication without some errors and no publication that is definitive. Woodrow, Wyatt and the Companion are I would agree essential reading, Williams if you want to go special building is dated and not without flaws but essentially a good overall guide to get you started. Beyond that read everything you can and make your own mind up about who you want to take notice of.
Black Art Enthusiast
The one must-have book in my opinion is the 750 Companion.

To suggest on spare parts it would be helpful to know what specific car you have.
But remember the Companion has its fair share of errors in it too; spring cambers and so on. But its great.

I'd say Platt's book of broken down/expanded parts diagrams published in the 80s and coming up occasionally on ebay. And actually the little Pitman manual from 30s/40s/50s are very useful... as are the right Austin handbooks - available free online.
True Jon, none of these publications should be taken as definitive and correct. Indispensable nonetheless. 

Plus one for Platt's catalogue (available in repro I believe?), very handy for understanding part variations and how things assemble.
Apart from books, don't forget the A7CA archive which has most of the handbooks and parts lists available, and being pdf format they are printable,   http://archive.a7ca.org/collections/hand...rts-lists/.  I sometimes get asked questions about parts which are not properly identified, but if you do have questions it is a great help if you can refer to a part no, or include a picture, then anyone replying can probably give a good answer.
Robert Leigh
"To suggest on spare parts it would be helpful to know what specific car you have"

This is the Car: (pasted from my intro thread Smile

"1930 Austin 7 PA Tourer.

It was never called a Boat tail
It was never called a Chummy

but if I call it a chummy or a boat tail people might correct me but they will know what I am talking about.
Is this correct?"

This is the thread:

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/foru...p?tid=2654