The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oxfordshire Sevens Brake Upgrade
I've just become the proud owner of a 1937 Austin 7 Ruby in really great condition , the only thing not great about it is  - yes you guessed! - the braking. I was already aware that the brakes on these models are inherently poor, but I not just how poor. I can really do without quite so much excitement when trying to stop so I'm keen to upgrade them.

I've come across Oxfordshire Sevens who offer what appears to be a comparatively straightforward and cost effective way of improving the braking performance whilst retaining the cable system by using a twin leading shoe system. I just wondered if anyone has had any experience of this upgrade and if it is worth a try.
Hello Namesake!!!!

Welcome to the forum.

Before delving into add ons and alterations I would check the existing.  A 37 car will have semi Girling brakes and well set up (I have been led to believe) can be quite good

My 1930 RK has 1" shoes on relatively flimsy drums and is uncoupled.  My first drive in it was horrendous brake wise.  However following a complete strip down of the brakes, relining, new cables, brake cams and lots of very good advice from the forum (do try searching past threads) I now have quite serviceable stopping power. 

It may take a bit of work but get the basics right first.

Cheers

Howard
Austin Seven brakes really don't deserve their poor reputation. They're perfectly adequate for normal road use and honestly aren't that bad IF they're in good condition and regularly adjusted. Make sure that the linings are sound and not soaked in oil, then check through the whole system for any play or wear, replacing anything that's suspect - in particular, look at the cams and bushes attached to the operating levers. Adjust until the brakes are just short of rubbing and you should then (if you really stand on the pedal) be able to lock up all four wheels on a dry road.
I have just swapped what looked like perfectly good linings, which came with the car and were probably 30 years old, for some of the soft grey ones from one of our suppliers.

They are yet to bed in, but the difference is amazing.

Not locking wheels yet, but I think they will be doing that with a little time.

Overhauling what you have will be easier and cheaper than TLS, so worth trying first.

Simon
I have several 7s and all are standard brakes of varying ages. I have never found braking to be a problem if you drive to the road conditions and keep very alert to what is around and in front of you. Properly set up 7 brakes are suitable for modern day use.
If you're unsure about whether your existing brakes are within spec, see if you can find a local club member to compare notes with. That would definitely be the best place to start.
I have not driven a car with their conversion, but I understand that it was fitted to a successful race car when first developed.

Jamie.
Plus one for what Martin and others have said Austin seven brakes in good condition and correctly set up are perfectly fit for purpose! The problem as stated is that they often have wear in all of he pivots, this includes the cross shaft, the drums are slogged out, and they are poorly balanced by the owners, your ruby should have a compensated system which for some seems to add set up confusion. The other thing not mentioned yet is that the hub flanges have sometimes been distorted in past attempts to remove or seperate them, this allows oil to cover the brake shoes. Just to reiterate what others have said, there is absolutely no need to modify your brakes, period.
Black Art Enthusiast
The one comment I would add to the above is that a discernible improvement can be achieved simply by replacing the brake drums with cast iron drums. Tony Betts is the cherished supplier to ask first.
Unlike previous models, the 1937 road tests acheived reasonable braking. The spongy long travel pedal and lack of nose dive often makes the brakes feel worse than are.
The currently sold linings seem superior to much sold even when cars were in new or in their heyday, and certainly far better than many materials, esp bonded, fitted in last 60 years, some intended for power brakes.