The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rubber washers
Anybody used rubber washers before on a Zenith 26va inlet pipe, waiting for copper ones as my fibre ones don't fit
I wouldn't after seeing how much the mazak distorts on the flanges. The rubber is just too compressible.
I use the least strong Loctite (other brands are available) for sealing every petrol carrying joint.

I have done this for some years now.

It seals well and you do not have to overtighten those poor old joints.

They are easily dismantled if you use the right grade of goo.

If I really had to use "rubber" on a petrol joint I would cut washers from an old "rubber" dinghy patch I have.

Simon
If you do use 'rubber' for any application where it is in contact with fuel, make sure it is nitrile rubber (NBR), otherwise it won't last ten minutes.
I'm assuming you mean the loctite copper gasket sealant or something like Simon ? The rubber is just a stop gap, what type of washer do you use with it ?
I use a thin smear of red Hermetite (now, it appears called red Hylomar but it is the same thing). It is easy to get apart and is petrol proof.
David,  the red hermitite, as well as a washer or instead of ?
I use fibre washers and coat each side of them with a thin layer of Hermetite. You don't have to do the banjo nut up more than a good nip to get it to seal, which is kinder to both aging Mazac and to the banjo nut.
I would have thought copper washers too hard for this joint.
I had problems sealing with even relatively soft new fibre washers, so I added a smear of epoxy resin to the joints and all has been well for years. I did have to take it apart once and it did come off OK but probably when I next do it i will use blue hylomar (as stays soft whilst red sets) as takes a while to clean off the epoxy to make sure new mating surfaces are clean and smooth.
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Dowty washers work very well at this joint.