The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering column shaft finishes
Question 
Hello all, 

I’m seeking advice about the appropriate finishes for the main rotating shaft in the steering column on a ‘29 chummy.

While dismantling my column I’ve found the largest of the inner shafts was quite rusty. A quick clean with sandpaper and a wire wheel reveals that the shaft was not smoothly finished. It appears to have a grooved machined finish that’s now somewhat pitted due to the corrosion. 

Was this shaft coated in any way when it came out of the factory?
What originally protected it from corrosion? 
A long ago dried up grease perhaps?

Any advice on how I should finish it before reassembly?

thats production engineering for you. Feed rate chosen to suit high volume, not finish where it wasnt neccassary. The poor sod who turned it up was probably on piecework.

id grease it up it were me. tjats what i do with the tubes that go down the middle if it.
Even so that's a shocking amount of time on a lathe for a component which doesn't much seem to need it.

+1 for grease.
Hedd's comment on piecework put me in mind of a factory I visited many years ago. I was introduced to an operator who had been centreless grinding 1" diameter tubes, around 12" long, for the last 15 or so years. It also put me in mind of Arthur Seaton's job at " The Raleigh " in Saturday Night & Sunday Morning.
Paint with KBS Coatings Rust Seal, if you can find some (Holden?) It goes a very long way.... 113ml (1/4 pint..4oz) covers 6 sq foot with 2 coats.  Google KBS coatings for full info. - OR - POR 15 similar but not so good.
I think grease would just dry out again.....especially in the tropical west-country!

Dennis
I’ve had another close look this morning and there is not much clearance as this shaft slides through the bush on the outer shaft, any paint in the wrong spot might make things a bit too tight.

Looks like it’s going to be a nice covering of grease for this one when it goes back together!

-A
Penetrol or CRC Soft seal if you are really troubled by the potential of future corrosion.
Black Art Enthusiast
Wipe over with Ranex Rustbuster ( Phosphoric Acid) then oil.
It's survived 80 or 90 years with no more than a bit of surface rust, why do you feel there is a problem? Cosmetic finishes are for visible parts. A lick of grease and you're good to go.
Re all replys above:

1. I understood that it was more than just "a bit of surface rust"  .....quite rusty....cleaned with rotary wire brush.

2. Rust Seal .....The recommended minimum dry film thickness is 3 -5 mils....that is 3 thousandth to 5 thousandths of an inch......which is achieved in 2 to 3 coats (brushed on thinly).  Thus should be no problem fitting inside a bush.

3.  This will provide a 100% waterproof coating = no more rust.  It is not just a cosmetic finish.

4. It is very tough as I have proved by putting a strip of painted metal on a dolly and hitting it with a fairly hefty  blow with a hammer......and no marking.

5. Oil or grease coating will eventually dry out....and rust will again occur.

I like the satisfaction of fettling and ending up with a satisfying visual look as well.  But then I probably carry things to an extreme; for example all washers I use get painted before being put in place!!      As I am now getting older and running out of time I am beginning to think that I should be spending more of that time enjoying the driving of the car than preparing.  Big Grin

Dennis