The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shims for front main bearings.
Hello, I need a couple of shims for the front main bearings as the chap who built the engine forgot to put them in, resulting in bearing end float. Does anyone have a spare pair they can sell me please ?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Go to tue supermarket. Buy some beer in steel cans. Drink them. Once sobered up. Make the shims using a sissors
I'll need to drink a lot of beer, as the shims need to be quite think, about 1mm. I prefer to buy my beer in bottle anyway  Smile
I cut my last one from a bit of Dexion shelving, it doesn't have to be a brilliant piece of engineering, and you only need one.

Or an exact thickness, " a little bit of overhang" will do.

Simon
Bill Williams, in his Austin Seven Specials book suggests using an old piston ring as a spacer.
I've sorted it. I found a suitable sized shim in my bits & bobs of other cars. It fitted a treat. The retaining plates are now back on tight. The crank rotates freely, with no end float.
Is might just be me but if the bearing in the photo is A/C, it looks like it might be in the wrong way round? Would explain at least some of the 1mm of end float.

Steve
I think they are correct, as I could see the thicker inner edge of the outer race was inner most, as the Doug Woodrow book shows.
And hopefully, the inner bearing has the thicker edge towards the front, as they should be back to back.
Bearing catalogues use the term rings to refer to the larger and smaller tracks of rolling races. Avoids much confusion. I take it stepped  bearings (or one) are being used. Assuming the former, ideally to keep the conrods centre in each piston, should shim each side.
For persons unfamiliar with Sevens spotting such subtlies is a demand for the average amateur, or for very many "mechanics". 
Hopefully the crankcase is not too worn. Please dont loctite!