The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6V strobe timing
Hi All

I'm reasonably happy with the timing on the RK but I would like to check the dynamic timing using a strobe light. 

So two questions.

Where is the best place at the front of the engine to mark the tdc? (Its a pain having to remove the starter and housing every time I want to check the timing)

Does anyone know of a strobe light that works entirely on 6 volts? (I guess all will work on 6 volts as long as they are powered from a 12V battery?)

Thanks in advance

Howard
I marked the fan pulley appropriately to match up with pointer bolted on the nearest dynamo housing mounting point.

I used this: https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/S8000-AccuSpark...d79b459f0f

I only did this to one engine as I found adjusting it manually to ear just as accurate.
Just double checking R. And only cos it says in the blurb "suitable for all 12 volt ignition systems" OK for me?
Best regards. Peter.

And just for those of us like me that have never done it, is it' undo the clamp and adjust by turning the dissy a little each way till it sounds right' and whilst the engine is running? Or do you stop engine and start each time you adjust. OK Might sound dumb and if you don't know the answer then ask someone who does. And R. No one better.
The strobe is useful for observing that the auto advance works, where appropriate. 

I have driven my strobe off a 12v battery with the earth (only) on the battery, joined to the earth of the car. The car is using a 6v battery. 

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD
Peter,

you need to have the engine running to use the strobe.

If your car is running well, and you are not certain of how adjustment works, I would leave it until you have someone beside who does.
Thanks Ruairidh.
You can check any ignition timing with a strobe that has an HT lead pickup, magneto, coil, self generating as m/cycle types, as its only sensing the HT you just connect the strobe to a 12v battery. Turn distributor in direction of rotation to retard opposite to advance if your distributor slips
in the clamp it retards the ignition due to the direction of rotation.
Terry.
I have this one and it definitely works on 6V (it may be a bit brighter on 12V but it does the job). My only criticism is the lead is a bit short (if you want to use it at the flywheel).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerspark-TL...19c6eb5f8c

Before starting mark the existing timing position at the distributor (that's what the degree scale and pointer are for) then you can always get back to where you began if things go bad.
Along with compression gauges, strobes only became really fashionable when crankhandles disappeared. Older strobes are powered entirely by the spark . I have used on lawnmowers.
Users often injure their head on the bonnet after they get a shock!
Users often injure their head on the bonnet after they get a shock!

Thank you for an early morning giggle !