The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chassis number location Mid 1927?
I have a 1927 rolling chassis here on 'approval', I am looking to find and confirm the chassis number before I part with beer vouchers.

Because of very thick 2k paint, the chassis number is not clearly visible.

The online archive suggest two positions, both on the nearside rail. Either in front of the front engine mount. Or in front of the rear engine mount. 

Being brutally honest there is no sign in either location. (No signs of a plate on the rear cross member either)

Id like to damage the paint in one location only since I have not paid for it yet. And indeed may not buy it.

Can anyone with a car with a mid 1927 car chassis number in the range of 39500 let me know where theirs is? So I can make an educated guess and hopefully find it first time!

Thanks in advance.
I've had cars from late 1926 and mid-1928 and both have the chassis number in front of the front engine mount. 

Hope this helps.

John
Well, 33XXX is at the front and 43XXX is at the rear... ! You can only be 50% wrong.
Wouldn't be a plate on the rear cross member, but might also be stencil paint chassis number on the N/S, if paint is thinner there...
Hi Hedd,

My chassis 10xxx had the number at the front of the NS chassis rail
and also stamped on the rear cross member.

Just as well as some bloke had claimed my chassis no
On the Register as he had stated his engine no was the same as his chassis no!!

His entry on the Register had to be modified once he
Found his “proper chassis no” .

It all turned out OK in the end and I finally got it sorted
out before submitting my DVLA forms to get a Reg no.

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Thanks gents. Ill get the wire brush out later and remove some paint.

The front location sounds favourite.
Here is my 1927 chassis number. 52821 

You can just about make it out , well the 28 anyway!

Roly

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1931 RN, 1933 APD
thats interesting. So they were plainly quite variable where they stamped 'em. Any more in the 30/40/50s to declare?
That's where I would expect to find it on that age of car, with the other adjacent/ just forward of the Left rear engine mounting.
The one in the Association photos for chassis is the 43xxx that is in front of the REAR mounting. I suppose it could be a made up one?
Jon, also for reference. A aluminium plate on the rear crossmember is also a possibility for chassis number location