The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering box oil leak
Went for a lovely drive in the sunshine yesterday but ended with oil coming out the top of the steering column.
I have recently rebuilt the box with new seals etc and made it oil tight so thought I would use D140 oil.
Only filled to the level of the filler so thought that was not excessive. The oil seems to wick up the inner column.
Is the type of oil or the level to blame?
Many thanks.
Adrian.
Adrian. Did you renew the seal at the top of the column. Also this problem shouts overfilling.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I grease mine. It still goes up the column if the get too excited with the pump. But doesnt leak so much out of the seals
Hello John
The oil is not coming out between the outer column and the main steering tube where the top bearing is. It is between the main steering tube and the static tube the levers are attachee to.
Maybe I need to go back to grease.
Adrian.
I too use SAE 140 in the steering box and it turns up at the base of the steering wheel. I keep pieces of rag under the seat and wipe the excess away if it looks too much. At least i know that the top bush is getting (probably more than) its fair share of lubrication.
I regularly have to wipe away a collar of grease from under the steering wheel. I too take it as a sign of good all round lubrication.

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(25-03-2019, 08:40 PM)Andy Bennett Wrote: I regularly have to wipe away a collar of grease from under the steering wheel. I too take it as a sign of good all round lubrication.

Andy B

Andy,

Do you think it's an RP Box Saloon thing?
I had one that did that, but after the collision with a BMW it had an ominous tight spot at the position it was in at the time so I junked the worm And wheel.
My Chummy does this but only on hot days, when it's been parked in the sun. It's cost me 2 pairs of trousers so far..... Wink
This is as much characteristic of Sevens as the tinkle from the crankhandle ferrule. I can recall from when a very small boy my father getting a blob on his best slacks on the then tradional Sunday afternoon run.

Using the grease gun is sure cause.