The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help/Advice required...Will only run on full choke, produces white smoke
Bob Culver was spot on (unfortunately !)  

When I managed to get head off, cylinders 1 and 4 looked as you would expect them (bored to +30, no significant wear lip at top of cylinder)

HOWEVER, when i examined 2 and 3 they both showed significant damage about one third way down length of cyclinder. (see attached photo)

I guess this is how the water was entering the combustion chamber.

I have pulled the engine out this afternoon, and all I need now.....is a replacement block, anyone any ideas? (I assume the current block is scrap....I wouldnt  have thoughtanything can be done to rectify it !)

Thank you Bob, without you suggesting the possibility of rusting through of cylinders, I wouldnt have thought to look for this possibility and may have replaced the head...........and still had the same problem.

I could not find the original post you mentioned regarding appearance of cylinders, perhaps you could point me to it?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help/Advice required...Will only run on full choke, produces white smoke - by A7novice - 22-09-2017, 09:47 PM