The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rust pitting on flywheel
I wonder if somebody could give me an opinion as to whether the amount of rust pitting on the clutch contact area of my flywheel is acceptable.

[Image: IMG-20190318-181417.jpg]

It's rather difficult to capture in a photo but the damage doesn't extend all the way round.

[Image: IMG-20190318-181304.jpg]

I will need to have the damaged ring gear machined off in order to fit a new shrink on one but if the damage to this one is deemed too excessive I may need to look for a replacement rather than go to the expense and trouble of machining.

[Image: IMG-20190318-181247.jpg]

I'd be really grateful for any advice offered.

Thanks,     ..... Phil.
A better flywheel is probably readily available at little cost.
Jim
I would use it......
Did you have any problems with the clutch before the strip down other than the ring gear. If you did not then I would use it again with new ring gear.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Hi John, I've never driven or started the car, I bought it as a project which had been stored in a barn for the best part of 20 years, hence the rust I guess. I haven't yet looked in detail at the pressure plate but I suspect it will be in a similar condition.

Thanks to all for replies so far!

..... Phil.
About the worst that can happen is fierceness and rapid lining wear. For the use the average Seven gets wear not likely to matter If the existing clutch plate OK would use. Quite easily changed. 
However the thin metal of the disc may be seriously weakened making use a gamble.
The problem with flywheels is finding one where the taper has not been lapped.
I think I'd use it too but if spending money on a new ring gear I might have a look around for a better one first.
Many thanks for all of your replies and advice, all greatly appreciated.
I've now had time to take a close look at the pressure plate which is not as badly pitted as the flywheel contact face so I think on balance it will be o.k. to use.
I already have a replacement ring gear and I'm hoping a friend with a bigger lathe than me will be able to do the machining for me.

Thanks again,     ..... Phil.
I am not intending to renew the starter ring on my Ruby but as a point of interest do you have to machine the ring off all seven flywheels to do this. Is it not a separate part sweated onto the flywheel.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
The original teeth were machined into the flywheel, if wanting to renew the ring gear you have to machine off the old teeth, the new ring is then shrunk on