The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gordon England Historians
I am always impressed by the responses to Gordon England questions and comments, so I'll try a historical question. Dudley Beck entered what was described as a "Gordon England Super Sports" in the Hereford Speed Trials in May 1924. It was reported that he had bought it new in March of that year. A  Miss Caswell is recorded as driving a "Brooklands" Austin Seven on the same event. Do any Gordon England historians know to whom cars were sold, or where I could look up such, admittedly somewhat arcane, info?
Hi Steve,

Tom Abernethy and Ruairidh Dunford between them will possibly  chip in to your query
and know more about Gordon England and his car business than I do.

“Gordon England Super Sports” was I believe the first advertised name for what
Is now known as a GE “Brooklands”... perhaps in the same way that “Ulster”
Has become the name for that sports car.

Gordon England perhaps sold perhaps 3000 to 4000 cars, vans and saloons.

I doubt if there are any sales records extant, but Companies House May hold Annual Accounts for the period 1924 to 1930, before the company folded.

As regards “ GE Brooklands” cars only a few hundred were made with only one or two ( perhaps not)
Surviving as chassis. I remember meeting Tom building his first Brooklands from scratch in his conservatory
50 years ago and doing it from scaled photographs.

As regards Cups again only a couple or so survived despite perhaps 3000 being made?

Regards

Bill G

Aka AllAlloyCup

Ps busy recreating a Cup just now!.
Based near the Scottish Border,
I am unable to help shed any light on this - sorry Steve.
Steve, A long shot. Have you looked in Canning Brown's book 'Austin Competition History 1922 - 1939?
Regards,
Ross
Ross, like any Seven owner thinking that most relevant books are already weighing down the shelves, there are one or two vital reference books that turn out to be  missing. So, no, I don't have the book you mention by Canning Brown. It must certainly be a rare volume. I've just been looking up Amazon and Abe prices which start close to seventy quid and move on upwards, so first I'll ask around to see if there is a copy to borrow.

Thanks to all for helping.
Hi Steve

I have copies of two of Canning Brown’ s hefty
Books which list entrants and their cars in 1920’s
And 30’s races, rallies and trials.

Are you looking for a particular individual?

Regards

Bill G

Ps I believe there are some notable books about the history
of racing at Brooklands which may also list drivers( owners?)
Of Austin’s entered there. Hard to find books?
Based near the Scottish Border,
A quick glance over my copy shows...

Dudley Beck is listed in the index as competing in the following races: LH4.24, S4.24. AB5.24, CB7.24, M7.24 and SW7.24 in a works lightweight special.

LH - Llanger Speed Hill Climb
S - Southport Sands
AB - Angel Bank Speed Hill Climb
CB - Colwyn Bay
M - Madresfield Court Speed Trials
SW - Shelsley Walsh

Caswell is not listed so far as I can see...

Angel Bank Speed Hill Climbs - 10th May 1924:

"Two Austin Sevens figured in the results. These were driven by Raymond Mays who won his class with time of 40.2 secs and DW Beck who was second in 43.4 secs."
When several years ago I commented that perhaps Raymond Mays had lowered himself to an Austin Seven and got confused between the jet lubrication system of his potent racing Bugatti Brescia,  it was meant as a joke! 
(For youngsters, Mays was instrumental in development of the E.R.A racers and the notorious V16 BRM.)
The missus is away at a conference, the dog refuses to set foot outside the back door into the torrential rain, and the Met Office has issued a warning not to attempt to enter one's workshop for fear of strong winds. So the anorak can sit at the keyboard and prowl the bookshelves in search of further information about  Dudley Beck. 

I have thumbed through Boddy's magisterial but sadly index free History of Brooklands, but can find no mention of Beck. WB in 1968 writes of him buying a car from Gordon England, "A keen private-owner, Dudley Beck, who bought his Super Sports model in March 1924, spoke of 30-32, 58-62 and 80-83 m.p.h. in the gears, stripped (these may have been speedometer readings), and a top speed, fully equipped, of 70 m.p.h.. He used his car for speed events and touring, and after about eight months it had cost him 3d. on repairs, for a valve pad!"

Beck was to be seen on hills, beaches and sprint courses in 1924, as Ruairidh's notes show. At Llagar, organised by the Chester Club but over the border near Mostyn, Beck took a 1st in class, which he did again later in the season at Madresfield. Looking through reports remind us of the brief period when Anniesland challenged Molsheim, Portello or Cricklewood, with Cyril Paul's Beardmore managing FTD on a number of occasions.

The Austin times up Angel Bank are puzzling, Mays had also entered his Bugatti, getting up much faster in 31.8s, whilst Cyril Paul got FTD with 29.8s in the Beardmore!

There is one image of Beck at Shelsley in 1924 in the LAT/Austin Harris archive, are we allowed to use this on the forum?
(12-03-2019, 10:59 AM)Steve kay Wrote: There is one image of Beck at Shelsley in 1924 in the LAT/Austin Harris archive, are we allowed to use this on the forum?

Yes you can!

Cracking photo it is as well.

More info here

[Image: a3457crop.jpg?itok=ustQQ_fO]