The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XG3925 NIPPY
Hello all, Many of you may well know this registration belonging to Louis Henry , who made a very large contribution to this site. Sadly Henry passed away last year and his beloved Nippy been sitting in his garage ever since.
Just wanted to let you know that I purchased Louis car and collected it today in a LWB Transit van. I started it when I unloaded it and it started within a few turns and settled to a sweet tickover and I'm looking forward to driving it. not owned a Seven before and ask how sharp should the clutch be. can you let them out like modern cars until bite, XG3925 is quite snatchy or is that normal ? or lack of use since last year, or perhaps something i have to master.
Sadly I never got to meet Louis, but some of his amusing posts live on within this site, he had many interests and was a talented musician.

Thank You all. RPM

09 /03/ 19

sweet
Hi,
The Seven Clutch has about 1/8" between engaged and disengaged.
It is possible to slip the clutch with a bit of practice.
Reverse is also good fun think Kangaroo hops.
Spend a bit of time getting used to it and learn the brakes as they need a lot of foot pressure to work well compared with a modern.
Enjoy your new toy.
From my experience of sevens the clutch sounds quite normal for a seven. Very little movement before it bites and off you go. Welcome to the Austin Seven world I am sure you will have hours and hours of pleasure. If there is anything you don't understand about a seven someone on this forum will no doubt be able to willingly help with advice. One last thing you may find it helpful and enjoyable to join a local Austin seven club.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
sounds encouraging guys, just couldn't get the bite correct without the car shaking and judder although it was my first time behind the wheel. once I was off it was fine, just on the pull away in First Gear too much revs not enough?
Rob Martin
more photos needed! well done... look forward to hearing how your new relationship develops.
Very sorry to hear Louis has passed away he was a lovely bloke with whom I had long conversations about
Nippy rear body support brackets and why Nippies "break their backs"

Glad that his car has found a new home, I know you have been looking for a Nippy for a while.
Here is a pic he sent me a while ago

.jpg   Louis Nippy.jpg (Size: 39.65 KB / Downloads: 407)

A7 clutches are nowhere near as forgiving as those on modern cars but with a bit practice it should be perfectly usable.
With Sevens conservation of momentum is the name of the game. Often not time to wait for any synchro. The clutch enables double declutching in milliseconds!
I didn't know Louis had died but did see the car for sale at Beaulieu the year before last when a friend of Louis had bought it over from I.O.W. when Louis was in hospital. Are you going to restore it or leave as is?
Didn't know Louis but sorry to hear of his passing. Nice though if his car is now in appreciative hands; I think we all dread that some day our pride and joy will be butchered for parts.

Based on that photo the doors seem to fit well which is a great plus.

Re the clutch think less about stroke and more about a gentle easing of pressure.

Does it have a sports engine / gearbox Rpm?
RPM. It sounds that the car has gone to a good home. Very sad about Louis. He was a lovely and talented man. I drove the car once and was taken out for a long, fast drive along some lovely, quiet Island roads. Although fitted with a " cooking" engine, it went well and I thought it a good honest example of a Nippy. Enjoy!!
Chris