The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Reassembly of front endb
I am about to put the front wings & radiator shell back on after repainting etc.
The wing datum holes are ok for lining everything up , but what I am not sure about is the order to do it !
Do the support arms go first or should they be fitted to the wings & wangled into place? 
I think the rad shell goes on last
I have new piping to put in as well
I plan to put the bolt heads on the outside as this keeps the threads clean, but it may be easier to put them in from the engine side!
How was it done " on the line"? Any ideas?
I have a good selection of bodgers to help line up the holes!!!
David
Hi David

I can only tell you what I have found out by doing this on my 2-seat AEW (Box saloon type rad shell).
The following order I found was best for me:

1/ Loosely Fit Rad shell/Radiator assembly
2/ Fit wing support brackets - tune the tightening of the Rad shell bolts and wing support bracket bolts in order to get good central alignment with nose cone/Rad shell nose cone hole
3/ Check alignment of the bonnet
4/ Fit wings

I found that it was impossible on my car to get the Radiator Shell in to the front of the car with the wing brackets bolted up tight.

Good luck, Regards Peter
If the radiator shell is stressed cracks and tears will develop.
Thanks for that advice.
fingers crossed it all lines up!
D
David, With reference to the piping I find it easiest to leave the bolts where the piping is to go slack but all fitted together. Lay the piping in place and mark where the bolts go then cut out inverted V shaped pieces in the piping material ( in the piping where it fits between the metal). The piping can then be easily slipped between the metal and then the bolts nipped up.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Thanks for that tip
D
John,

That’s how I did mine, but I added lengths of sticky tape doubled over just on the flat bit of the beading at intervals near the bolts, to assist pulling the beading in position as I, tightened the bolts.

Roger