The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Musings on Design for a Special
A bit like this?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Good morning.

Duncan and Grieg:

Thank you for the thoughts, comments and suggestions.

I like I agree that the lower, raked bonnet line looks good, as does the roof line in your drawing, Duncan.  I had been trying for a design where the cabin height looks lower than the body height, to try and avoid the impression of being top heavy. However, I am not quite sure whether I achieved it.

The rake of the windscreen is the original Ruby rake as I plan to retain the existing scuttle and doors. My panel beating skills are rudimentary, although I have done a lot of copper work. I have access to all of the necessary panel forming equipment, but need to learn how to use it.

Regards,

Jamie.
If you are planning to use the existing Ruby scuttle and doors, I suggest you have a good look at some of the original Australian bodies; you may find inspiration there:

.jpg   1937 Holden coupe.jpg (Size: 125.73 KB / Downloads: 346)
Unfortunately I am unable to post a picture, but my friend Geoff Roe has made a very nice looking coupe based on a Ruby chassis with Big 7 axles and a Reliant engine.  For the scuttle and windscreen he used the remains of a late Ruby but mounted it on the chassis so the screen has more rake.  He used Chris Gould 'Imp' wings.  The whole thing is very attractive but I gather it is a bit cosy inside!
Perhaps someone could post a picture?
Great project, crack on!
The Australian coupe is very well proportioned. Lovely!

Jamie, open cars are great but awful when the weather is wet (unless you have wipers on your specs.) A coupe with a sunroof is a much more practical and useable proposition. I have a box saloon and an Ulster special and the saloon gets more use. You can use it for shopping and not worry about someone stealing your goods if you have locking doors of course. Driving the Ulster special with the hood up is a draughty, noisy experience and only a little drier than having the hood down.
I agree wiv 'im!
Mike: That looks an interesting car and the colour looks surprisingly pleasing.

Malcolm: I should be interested if anyone does have a picture of your friend's car.

Dave: I have memories of my old Land Rover in the winter. It was great in the summer with the canvas tilt and sides off, but freezing cold, even with the roof on and heaters blasting, in the winter. Your comments are also behind my drift away from a convertible and back to a coupe with a sun roof.

Regards,

Jamie.
Hi Jamie, looking very Topolinoesque, a pretty shape.
How about this on your Chassis : https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/223663268884?ch...IxO_D_BwEi

I have no connection to this item but saw it and thought of you
(12-11-2019, 11:12 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: Hi Jamie, looking very Topolinoesque, a pretty shape.
How about this on your Chassis : https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/223663268884?ch...IxO_D_BwEi

I have no connection to this item but saw it and thought of you

Hmmm. Now that could be interesting...........
Jamie, if you are interested in the Topolino bits on eBay, don't be tempted to offer anything extra for the 'valuable logbook' - it's worthless. Not only is the documentation an old style V5, which means DVLA will probably only reissue a V5C on a non-transferable basis, but the bits don't include the engine and chassis, so the number won't be issued anyway!