The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking tips for making good quality battery cables
I put new battery cables on my Ruby 15 years ago and used battery terminals that had two small screw bolts in them to secure them to the cables. I have had no problems. Also I could not get black cable for the earth so as this earth cable was only about 9 inch in length and hidden in the battery box I used red cable with black plastic tape wound around it.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
As Derek says above, the cable to use is Welding cable available in many sizes & a lot cheaper than £8 something a metre.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Welding-Cable-B...B00E1TN602

Available a lot cheaper still from a decent wholesaler.
Lots of good info from everyone, so thank you all.

Sifting through everything that has been said, one thing now occurs to me as a convenient solution. The company below offers 300amp black 40mm2 cable in various lengths, with crimped-on terminals at each end, plus heat shrink. I could simply get one of those and replace one end with a screw type (i.e. solderless) terminal clamp.

https://www.simplysplitcharge.co.uk/stor...uct_id=420

How about that?

Attached Files
.png   cable.png (Size: 116.41 KB / Downloads: 202)
.jpg   clamp.jpg (Size: 32.26 KB / Downloads: 201)
Ian how about the cables your talking about, with a terminal post like this LINK
[Image: 070301_large.jpg]

Then simply bolt on, I would have thought that would be a better connection than the screw type?
Just to add the company that you were looking at for the leads have similar at £6 for a pair LINK so could save on postage.
That's a thought. Thank you Timothy.
(30-01-2019, 01:06 PM)Timothy P Wrote: Ian how about the cables your talking about, with a terminal post like this LINK
[Image: 070301_large.jpg]

Then simply bolt on, I would have thought that would be a better connection than the screw type?

The added advantage of this type of post terminal is that if you use a suitable wing nut to secure the eye of the cable you have a ready made cut-out. Simply undo the wing nut and pull off the cable. Have had this on the A7 Camionette for ever and it works a treat.
I have a hydraulic crimping tool for this job - I don't use it much but it is very useful when I do: