The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radius arm reinforcement
Hi all, 

I'm looking for some advice about radius arm repairs.

On my 1929 Chummy chassis the radius arms have been 'reinforced' at some point in their past life 
This appears to be because of wear and tear to the hole that the chassis ball mount bolt passes through.
This repair seems to be somewhat rudimentary but functional.

I'm wondering are these reusable / repairable or do I source some new arms?
If they are repairable what would you suggest I do with them?

regards
Andrew
Melbourne 
Australia
That looks like a bit of overkill - the bolt needs some slack. With the later spring assembly the bushes should do the work.

I would think the weld is in a bad place and may affect the strength of the arm.

Look for an unmolested pair.

Cheers, Tony.
You gotta smile. First we have the armoured wiring of AllAlloyCup, then this! The extremes of the Seven movement, now and then.

However it got the car going and  paying someone the time to hunt out or make two washers would be considerable.
It is important that the bronze inserts are a neat fit. Early cars had a plain bolt which is probably the ideal if all unworn and spherical and carefully adjusted, but later had a strong spring.
I like to reuse and repair old components, those radius arms would have looked better with a small diameter, stout,  ROUND washer, fully welded. The sides are easily tapped in to tighten up to the bush and job done.  After straightening them in the press and pairing them for angle I'm a fan of boxing these early arms as well,  and a dab of weld up front in place of those pesky loose rivets.  Purists can breathe again now.    cheers  Russell
Some soft solder the brass cups in if they are a loose fit too.
(01-02-2019, 05:08 AM)agmatthews Wrote: Hi all, 

On my 1929 Chummy chassis the radius arms have been 'reinforced' at some point in their past life 
This appears to be because of wear and tear to the hole that the chassis ball mount bolt passes through.

regards
Andrew
Melbourne 
Australia

Looks a right mess, cut the plates of with a thin disc, plug up the hole with weld, dress and redrill
new hole central
(01-02-2019, 09:22 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 05:08 AM)agmatthews Wrote: Hi all, 

regards
Andrew
Melbourne 
Australia

Looks a right mess, cut the plates of with a thin disc, plug up the hole with weld, dress and redrill
new hole central

now THAT reads like the correct course of action to me. By the way.... boxing them seems a good idea as well but can one drill these then for some weight saving and sporty looks or is that ill-advised??
Radius arms boxed, drilled and reshaped for caster angle 20yrs ago still going strong.   Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nice...!

Here I am trying to resurrect a shabby chummy and you tempt me with a photo of all that polished shiny goodness!

So it looks like we have two camps of thought 1) clean them up, reinforce, weld and redrill etc. and 2) find some replacements fit them and move on. 

It’s time versus money and patina versus perfection....

While contemplating this can anyone offer advice for a source of replacement radius arms? 
Do any on the regular suppliers, cherished or otherwise, make them new, or reconditioned?
Any suppliers in Australia, or am I heading to the motherland for these?
Anyone know of a nice pair collecting dust in the back a shed somewhere?

Andrew
West of Melbourne, Australia

Where it’s a 40C windy day with a nervous whiff of bushfire smoke in the air today.
(02-02-2019, 10:46 PM)agmatthews Wrote: Nice...!

Here I am trying to resurrect a shabby chummy and you tempt me with a photo of all that polished shiny goodness!

So it looks like we have two camps of thought 1) clean them up, reinforce, weld and redrill etc. and 2) find some replacements fit them and move on. 

It’s time versus money and patina versus perfection....

While contemplating this can anyone offer advice for a source of replacement radius arms? 
Do any on the regular suppliers, cherished or otherwise, make them new, or reconditioned?
Any suppliers in Australia, or am I heading to the motherland for these?
Anyone know of a nice pair collecting dust in the back a shed somewhere?

Andrew
West of Melbourne, Australia

Where it’s a 40C windy day with a nervous whiff of bushfire smoke in the air today.

Have you checked Club spares ?

Tony.