The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ruby headliner
Has anyone fitted headlining to an Austin Ruby ARR woul appreciate any tips and how to go about it
Yup. Did it in my Mk11 Ruby fifteen or so year ago. Still rather proud of it (in a modest sort of way). Feel free to PM me.
Yes, took mine to a trimmer last Monday, hopefully picking it up on Saturday, snow permitting
After years of running round without one, measured the really tatty remains I took out previously, bought the right material and some "hid'em" tape, drew out the shape of the main piece with chalk (remembering to leave some extra for the sewn-in seams to attach it to the wooden beams across the roof), cut it out, sewed it, nailed it in place, starting at the back.  Cut a couple more pieces to hang down at the back corners, made a few hardboard strips the right shape for round the front and sunroof and covered these, then screwed them on.  Some people think I did a neat job, others think it is baggy.  I have never tried to shrink it with steam - looks okay to me.  Once in place the car was much quieter - I could now hear the engine.

Colin
Robert do you have a pattern or access to a similar car to view  and measure?
Do you have a sliding sunroof?  The following remarks apply to a non sunroof headliner as I haven't done a 7 with one. 
The roof panels can be sewn up from a single piece of cloth including the listing pockets behind. It's normal to tack these pockets to the timber roof rails, I include a length of stiff fencing wire in these pockets to even out the inevitable 'pull marks' from the tacks (I use staples).  To keep the headlining taught sew your panels a little smaller to allow for stretch. Front to back tension done first and quite firm. Side to side tension not much, wire does not extend past the fore and aft rails. For the rear quarters I like to glue the fabric to stiff cardboard or plastic. No fastenings need be shown in the final result as hidem/gymp and window surrounds, rear seat, etc cover them. Remember to prefit wiring for interior light if you having one.  Not a difficult job, can be sewn on a domestic machine, contact sprayglue comes in a can, good luck       Russell     ARR owner