The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MOLY - molybdenum disulphide
Moderator - Can this be saved for posterity as information?

.doc   Molybdenum Disulphide.doc (Size: 35 KB / Downloads: 67)

.doc   Molyslip in Overdrive or automatic.doc (Size: 21.5 KB / Downloads: 26)
Dunno if moly can be present without the dark colour; know of no engine or gearbox oils dark as new.
Moly used not to be recommended for running in, or for synchro gearboxes.
Most gearbox teeth and bearing faiures are from spalling; a fatigue process which boundary lubrication little influences.
How old are the printed articles?

Moly certainly seems to work in modern ball joints etc. Probably ideal for the likes of Seven kingpins where any wear is troublesome.
You add the Molybdenum Disulphide to the oil you have in your engine/gearbox. It is not already in any make of oil. It comes in a something like 250ml bottle being carried in a suspension of oil.

Articles added to my collection around 2007 so maybe originated just prior to or a few years before.

Yes works well in king pins + especially steering boxes. But I use the other super lubricant........ grease with it ready mixed in comes in cartridge for guns and is nice and not quite runny. 220,000 psi film strength (compared with around 110,000 psi of MoS2).....
Dennis
(01-02-2019, 01:41 AM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote: You add the Molybdenum Disulphide  to the oil you have in your engine/gearbox.  It is not already in any make of oil. It comes in a something like 250ml bottle being carried in a suspension of oil.

Articles added to my collection around 2007 so maybe originated just prior to or a few years before.

Yes works well in king pins + especially steering boxes. But I use the other super lubricant........ grease with it  ready mixed in comes in cartridge for guns and is nice and not quite runny.   220,000 psi film strength (compared with around 110,000 psi of MoS2).....
Dennis

SKF offer a grease containing MOS2 but only for Rolling element bearings running at low speed and very high loads- needle rollers in UJs (or plain bearings- limited to king pins, spring pins and steering box in Austin Sevens ).

"SKF LGEM 2 is a high viscosity, mineral oil based grease using a lithium soap. Its content of molybdenum disulphide and graphite provides extra protection for harsh applications subjected to high loads, heavy vibrations and slow rotations.
  • High oxidation stability
  • Molybdenum disulphide and graphite provide lubrication even if the oil film breaks down
Typical applications:
  • Rolling element bearings running at low speed and very high loads
  • Jaw crushers
  • Track laying machines
  • Lift mast wheels
  • Building machines such as mechanical rams, crane arms and crane hooks"
Wouldn't use MOS2 additive in the Austin Seven gearbox-  lightly loaded three speed ball bearings and synchro four speed.

Just use good quality oil.

Cheers, Tony.
Not sure why you mention graphite.....this has long since been a non recommended use in our vehicle engineering.
MoS2 has long since been proven...ON ITS OWN in oil/grease.....not sure why you give such an odd comparison as  SKF LGEM 2. with Moly AND GRAPHITE with a somewhat different usage.
I used to use MoS2 additive in all my Scimitars engine/transmission to great advantage also my Nippy special with BMC A 996 engine.  Current Scimitar running very well but now changed to using the super oil additive and even better results.....possibly manifested by 28mpg instead of normal 22 to 24 mpg.

As per Moly articles,  endorsed by our club member,  research engineer who was working with one of the universities on a special engine. (he was unfortunately taken from us before his time by the dreaded C...a warning to other heavy smokers)  We really must make use of modern technology and known good technology to advantage in our little cars.
Yes to modern oils but anything PROVEN to reduce friction and wear as an extra must be good.
Note that my bearings are not "skidding" and self destructing. The originals in use up to 52,000 miles, when I got it, on untreated oil and from then with friction reducing additive until now at 110,000 shows no sign of the bearings in engine/gearbox/axle self destructing.  The synchromesh in the gearbox still works well.
Let's add longer life to our babies.   Cool

Dennis
(02-02-2019, 11:08 PM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote: Not sure why you mention graphite.....this has long since been a non recommended use in our vehicle engineering.
MoS2 has long since been proven...ON ITS OWN in oil/grease.....not sure why you give such an odd comparison as  SKF LGEM 2. with Moly AND GRAPHITE with a somewhat different usage.
I used to use MoS2 additive in all my Scimitars engine/transmission to great advantage also my Nippy special with BMC A 996 engine.  Current Scimitar running very well but now changed to using the super oil additive and even better results.....possibly manifested by 28mpg instead of normal 22 to 24 mpg.

As per Moly articles,  endorsed by our club member,  research engineer who was working with one of the universities on a special engine. (he was unfortunately taken from us before his time by the dreaded C...a warning to other heavy smokers)  We really must make use of modern technology and known good technology to advantage in our little cars.
Yes to modern oils but anything PROVEN to reduce friction and wear as an extra must be good.
Note that my bearings are not "skidding" and self destructing. The originals in use up to 52,000 miles, when I got it, on untreated oil and from then with friction reducing additive until now at 110,000 shows no sign of the bearings in engine/gearbox/axle self destructing.  The synchromesh in the gearbox still works well.

Dennis

I didn't mention Graphite- SKF did !

If MOS2 is so good why aren't all the Oil marketers using it ?

Cheers, Tony
(02-02-2019, 11:18 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 11:08 PM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote: Not sure why you mention graphite.....this has long since been a non recommended use in our vehicle engineering.

Dennis

Cheers, Tony
Why ruin good oil with additives?
(03-02-2019, 09:30 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 11:18 PM)Tony Press Wrote:

Dennis

Cheers, Tony
Why ruin good oil with additives?
All good oils have their own additives!
As you should have read, the AFMT does not alter the oil in any way.  Neither does the MoS2.  So you still have the benefits of good oil, if you use one, + the laboratory proven benefits of the two products whichever one you use.
For example I use the oil recommended by VW group in my Skoda Yeti (VW 1.2 petrol engine) and further improve the MPG through lowered friction of the AFMT (and previously on other cars through the MoS2)
I still trust in respected and world known independent laboratory's findings (including MIRA) than opinions.  However am open to anyone putting forward SCIENTIFIC evidence proving these two bodies wrong.......I imagine they would also be somewhat interested in SCIENTIFIC findings rather than opinions and silly questions.

Dennis
HI Dennis,
You might wish to check Tonys Credentials before making sweeping statements,

Cheers
Colin
NZ
(04-02-2019, 09:55 PM)Colin Reed Wrote: HI Dennis,
You might wish to check Tonys Credentials before making sweeping statements,

Cheers
Colin
NZ

Am partially aware of credentials.
Others may wish to check the credentials of SCINTEF (just google it) and MIRA.  The SCINTEF lab report obtained to satisfy the American government requirement that an independent lab report had to prove the claims made for the AFMT before the company were allowed to continue with the statements and claims they were making did just that....proved it.
I do not think the USA government were likely to have been hoodwinked. Both SCINTEF and MIRA are totally independent and well regarded institutes.
The development engineer (now deceased) member of a club I belong to was also well regarded (the MOLY man).

I was first introduced to MoS2 by one of our Chief Engineers on one of our (MOD) ships.
Both products have worked well for me in all the uses I have put them to.
Also a well regarded rolling road firm fairly recently showed improved bhp figures after addition of AFMT to a well tune vehicle.

I am merely a retired electronics engineer (+ heavy electrics added later), but as a highly sceptical person I do like to research products before I use them.

Don't all the big oil companies claim theirs is the best oil to use and needs nothing else ?  Smile

Regards
Dennis