The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repairing Lucas ignition and charging switch
About 25 years ago, the ignition switch on my Mk1 Ruby developed a fault, whereby it tended to stay permanently on whenever the spade key was turned to the 'off' position. I imagine this is now a fairly common fault, given the age of the component involved. As a short term workaround, I simply installed a separate switch and re-routed the wiring accordingly.

Fast forward to now and I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who can actually repair these things? I've so far resisted the temptation to take it apart myself, on the grounds that I've heard these are tricky to get back together again. Many thanks.

In the event that I end up tackling this job myself, the article below from the Cornwall Austin Seven Club could be just the thing!

http://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Artic...witch%202/
Rather than experiencing the mechanical explosion when taking one apart, I by-passed it using a separate switch mounted under the dashboard.