The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern lip seals
I have searched and I have asked suppliers but cannot be sure. When replacing the felt seal in the diff end of the half shalf with a modern rubber lip seal, do you do away with the seal cup? Are there any other parts needed?
There are two types available.

One dispenses with the cup, washer and circlip - it it glued in place.

The other simply presses inside the cup, in place of the felt seal.
I've only fitted them once and can't remember what size seal I actually used.
The half shaft bearing dia on the later axles,post '28 are .890 which is an awkward size.Not fractional imperial or close to a metric size.The closest I can find is 22.40mm,.882" and you will have to make a top hat sleeve to adapt to the bore of the axle. Unless someone knows better.

See Axle oil leaks Bristol A7 club technical web site for update on axle oil seals. Terry.
So hopefully the seals that I have just bought from Seven Workshop will go in the cups and fit OK. First try seems a very tight fit in the cup. Hey ho press on. I've got new felt back ups.
I usually remove a little material from the outside of these with a wire wheel - they usually sit in more easily after that.
The one's I fitted recently from A7c just pressed in.
I have made up a tool to fit them from PVC just a spigot on a piece  of round bar a few thou less than OD,square them up and tap in.
I also put a smear of grease on the lip and check half shafts for  damage,use a stone to clean any marks on assembly.
Andy
(30-01-2019, 06:44 PM)Stumpi Wrote: The one's I fitted recently from A7c just pressed in.
I have made up a tool to fit them from PVC just a spigot on a piece  of round bar a few thou less than OD,square them up and tap in.
I also put a smear of grease on the lip and check half shafts for  damage,use a stone to clean any marks on assembly.
Andy

Hi Andy, but did you put them in the cup first or straight in the casing. I am talking about the differential end and not the hub seals.
Regards
Peter
Seal size, seal fitted see photos metric seal 23x38x8.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(30-01-2019, 03:14 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: There are two types available.

One dispenses with the cup, washer and circlip - it it glued in place.

The other simply presses inside the cup, in place of the felt seal.

Can't remember which of the sizes I used but in my "heavy" axle, July 1937 onwards, there was what appeared to be a ring pressed into the casting and the seal pressed into that.

A TIP....one of our Scimitar club knowledgable engineering developers tips that when fitting get a rag soaked with Molyslip and rub well into the lip area.  This goes for any seal in any position (even seals round disk break pistons).

Dennis