The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
William Grover-Williams
I've long had an interest in WW2 things and of course vintage cars and vintage car racing but tonight is the first time I have come across William Grover-Williams and was wondering if anyone else has heard of him? Maybe I am just slow!

This is the link to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Grover-Williams

Basically he was a half French, half English chap who ended up marrying his employers ex mistress, won the first Monaco GP in a Bugatti painted in british racing green and then was in the SOE in WW2 working in France where he set up an agent network before getting caught and executed by the Nazis in 1945.

In a world now where people are famous for only being famous I feel bad people like this aren't better known.

Simon
Executed- or maybe not. Get a book called “ the Grand Prix saboteurs” by Joe Saward, will tell you all about him.
Alan Fairless
You might enjoy the novel based on Grover-Williams called Early One Morning by Robert Ryan; it was slated by the motoring press when it came out as being historically inaccurate, but treat it as just a novel and I found it an excellent read. You can pick up a copy on eBay for less than £2 including postage!
(24-01-2019, 12:07 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: You might enjoy the novel based on Grover-Williams called Early One Morning by Robert Ryan; it was slated by the motoring press when it came out as being historically inaccurate, but treat it as just a novel and I found it an excellent read. You can pick up a copy on eBay for less than £2 including postage!

I picked it up at the book exchange in our marina and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thanks, will look out for those books. A chap I work with has a plan to retire and open an automotive speciality second hand book shop. I'll get him to look out for them for me!

Simon
Fascinating story. Get the books as recommended. Look up Robert Benoist and Jean- Pierre Wimille too. Then get We Landed by Moonlight and begin to tie the strands together. I find the bravery unimagineable.
A nice picture of Williams in a Bugatti:

.jpg   William Grover-Williams.jpg (Size: 91.13 KB / Downloads: 269)
(24-01-2019, 10:29 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: A nice picture of Williams in a Bugatti:

Interesting little bit on Facebook !

https://www.facebook.com/joesawardf1/vid...859593257/
Excellent, thanks Tony. I had seen the Pathe news clip before. Will look out for the other books too Nick.
The Bugatti Owners Club has a trophy which had been won by him and the VSCC has been awarding this trophy for many years to the winner of a race for 2-seater Pre-1935 Grand Prix Cars. Often won by a Bugatti, naturally.