The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting battery to Mk1 Ruby battery box
Having replaced the battery in my Ruby for the first time in years, I am reminded of a couple of queries I have in relation to how the battery fits inside the box on the bulkhead.

First thing is that the all batteries of the correct type I have deployed over the years are never quite tall enough in my view. Consequently, I always bolster the height by using approximately 1" of packing underneath, which allows the starter motor cable to enter the hole near the top of the box and terminate on the battery post in a nice straight line. Have others found this too? In my picture, the battery is seen at the default height, with packing yet to be installed.

Second thing is that I have never identified any means to anchor the battery so that it cannot move about at all. The battery cables seem to do a reasonable job of keeping it in place, but surely there must have been a more satisfactory arrangement originally. Many thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It is secured by a right angle bracket wit a threaded bolt in each end, alongside (slightly below ) the cut out there is a hole in the battery box side for the bolt to come through and a hole on the front of the battery box for the other bolt to come through

eBay item number:264167795495
Its not the correct one (it looks homemade ) but gives you an idea.
Yes the one on my Ruby is the same as Nigel describes and is fitted with wing nuts.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I think the original clamp is like the one shown below. My car just has a bent piece of round bar and I noticed that it was not gripping the battery well and the casing was rubbing through at the corner, against the bar.  I put in a couple of bits of wood so the battery could be clamped properly - but it would be better to have the correct item, or something like it.

Colin

Attached Files
.jpg   Battery Clamp.jpg (Size: 48.32 KB / Downloads: 183)
Why the bracket, any good Austin driver should have the rest jam packed with tools and spares, battery ain’t going nowhere.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Thank you, all, for this valuable info.

Now that I have an understanding as to how it all looks and fits together, I'll probably have a go at making something like this myself.