The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smiths mechanical govenor speedometers
Yes I’ve spoken with him too. His advice was they can’t be recalibrated. I suspect he meant “I can’t do it”
Alan Fairless
The much missed Alan Raeburn used to.

C
It can only be a question of the governor spring and odometer drive gearing. Parts availability might be a problem.
Alan Fairless
My Dad made an early cruise control system for his Morris Minor, in the early 1960's.

That used the governor from a speedo, driven through a home made gearbox using nylon gears from the model making world.

Which if I ever get round to it, I would use to do mine properly.   But the numbers on the odometer are all rusty, so I probably will never bother!
(28-01-2019, 06:27 PM)Alan Wrote: Yes I’ve spoken with him too. His advice was they can’t be recalibrated. I suspect he meant “I can’t do it”

I think it is very much a trial and error procedure with lots of assembling and disassembling also maybe the weight could be varied but It would be best to gut a "TN" or an "N" which are freely available and I an pretty sure run around the same TPM and the odometer would then be accurate as well.
Cheers

Mark
I have 100miles speedos in both of my seven. One works quite ok - the other didn't move at all. The non-working had a very heavy spring, so I fitted a spring with the same dimensions as I had in my working speedo. It's better now, but not really linear. Looks like the used many different setups (weight, spring, etc.).

Oliver