The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin RK rear number plate bracket
I looked through all my (contemporary) photos across all pre '30 saloons and found 3 more with with similar brackets to JonE's post. What it shows is that cars vary massively in this respect and it is difficult to tell what is original. Many are the style as per Howards photo.
I would say that Chris is probably spot on as far as there not necessarily being a set pattern across a whole production run. Looking at photos of chummies and saloons on Austin Harris' site seems to confirm.
Happy to accept your comment, Zeto. I was under the impression that the garage supplied the plate which would open up the possibilities of several designs of number plate being available. Am I right? The " ~ " 'twixt the numerals and letters suggest the plate is closer to period than recent. Another of life's big mysteries!!
Brilliant reply’s, thank you all !

I will make up a bar to match what is seen as original !
Any photos of how it attaches and mounting points most appreciated .
(22-01-2019, 04:33 PM)wheale Wrote: Brilliant reply’s, thank you all !

I will make up a bar to match what is seen as original !
Any photos of how it attaches and mounting points most appreciated .

Hi Walter

There are two top hat sections bolted up under the rear floor.  The bracket should slide in and be fixed by two bolts.  On my car I had to grind down the bracket as the Austin Repro one was too thick.  I still could only get it in far enough to attach one bolt but this seems to hold it quite firmly. I also had to butcher the aluminium as the previous owner had formed this way past where the bracket comes out.  Perhaps this picture may help?

Howard

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Wonderful that shows it all very well , thank you very much Howard .
Hope these help

(22-01-2019, 10:00 AM)JonE Wrote: ok, well it's worth posting the suspect photo properly here so we can see if other examples of this crop up too or if it can be discounted as a replacement pre-1965. Easier to go with the safer, simpler plate anyway. 
I know this is later, but has anyone got a decent shot of this 1931 pub? It looks curved here.

Jon,

This is from a 1931 car - very similar to the one in your photo I would say...

I wonder if they changed it late RK run (the one I posted was May 1930); perhaps the simpler one is more prone to rusting where it passes the edge of the numberplate. This is certainly more elegant but uses more metal!
This is from a very early RN Saloon Jon and appears to use exactly the same amount of metal, just curved.
Sorry they aren't particularly clear as they are crops and not really the right viewing angle. 
These are some that I noted like the one you posted Jon , from my saved photos (credit to Clive Barker for some of them)
All appear to have varying degree of curve.

1927 Mulliner

.jpg   Crop 1927 Mulliner 1.jpg (Size: 159.45 KB / Downloads: 64)

1927 AD

1928 RF (mag engine)

1929 RF

1929 RK

.jpg   Crop 1929 RK.jpg (Size: 212.08 KB / Downloads: 65)