The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby saloon engine problem..
(19-01-2019, 01:38 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: How does running in oil work please John?

Very intetested too. My oil has a habbit of dribbling out!
Running in oil ?

Well, it's like wading through treacle but easier work Smile

Seriously, the stuff came from Penrite and if I understand it correctly you pay them extra money in order to leave out the modern additives which would otherwise hinder the bedding in process.

I guess mentioning OIL and AUSTIN SEVEN in the same post probably isn't a good idea for a peaceful life.......
(19-01-2019, 03:26 PM)John Cornforth Wrote: Running in oil ?

Well, it's like wading through treacle but easier work Smile

Seriously, the stuff came from Penrite and if I understand it correctly you pay them extra money in order to leave out the modern additives which would otherwise hinder the bedding in process.

I guess mentioning OIL and AUSTIN SEVEN in the same post probably isn't a good idea for a peaceful life.......
At the risk of creating much angst amongst contributors and not being at all sure if this is relevant, the engine oil I have used is Castrol XXL 40.  Not sure what I used at the time of the  original re-build but that was all drained and replaced with the recently purchased Castrol.

For those of you interested I attach a couple of pics of my Ruby which for good or bad has truly been all my own work.

Many thanks for all the very constructive comments.

Attached Files
.jpg   Ruby 1.jpg (Size: 306.94 KB / Downloads: 191)
.jpg   Ruby 2.jpg (Size: 236.12 KB / Downloads: 187)
That looks lovely Dennis, all very correct and tidy. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it once the initial gremlins are resolved.

Peter.
She looks great Dennis, and I appreciate a car all the more when the owner has done it all him/herself.
A lovely car Dennis. Can you tell me where you got the door mirrors from as I also have Ruby.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(19-01-2019, 03:26 PM)John Cornforth Wrote: Seriously, the stuff came from Penrite and if I understand it correctly you pay them extra money in order to leave out the modern additives which would otherwise hinder the bedding in process.

Thank you John.

The clamp on mirrors are available here: https://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/p...pearl-opal
(20-01-2019, 05:23 PM)John Mason Wrote: A lovely car Dennis. Can you tell me where you got the door mirrors from as I also have Ruby.

John Masons 

These were purchased from Willie McKenzie at Austin Reproduction Parts Ltd, www.austinrepro.com
There are other suppliers as noted on other posts, but that’s where these originated from.
Best regards
Denis S