The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shackle pin locking?
Just reading up on shackle pins as I have one loose. The Dorset site has this from Terry and the Midlands club:
http://www.da7c.co.uk/technical_torque_a...ations.htm

I've already got one suspension front link removed to allow direct link to front axle, but is the triangular securing plate for one shackle... to enable the spring to remain central.... something others have used for road cars? 
.jpg   WEBterrysuspension triangle.jpg (Size: 35.43 KB / Downloads: 332)

It seems quite a simple idea, presumably a more rigorous version on some others' ideas of stuffing a bit of rubber between the shackle and the axle!
That looks too rigorous to me. It needs some give to allow for the spring change in length as it flexes.
Rubber in the shackle works very well indeed.
Jim
(17-01-2019, 01:24 PM)AustinWood Wrote: That looks too rigorous to me. It needs some give to allow for the spring change in length as it flexes.

It's on one side only Jim, the minimal change in spring length is accommodated on the opposite shackle.

That said, I use rubber both sides.
  cheers  Russell
(17-01-2019, 01:45 PM)squeak Wrote:
(17-01-2019, 01:24 PM)AustinWood Wrote: That looks too rigorous to me. It needs some give to allow for the spring change in length as it flexes.

It's on one side only Jim, the minimal change in spring length is accommodated on the opposite shackle.

That said,      I use rubber both sides.
  cheers  Russell

The rubber block arrangement centres the nose - the locked shackle moves the nose sideways under bounce.

Probably not by much but the intent should be to stop this !

Cheers, Tony P.
The effect of a locked shackle with a flat spring as on a sports car is less brutal than with a cambered spring.