The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why won't it start
Carrying on from my last post when I found the petrol pipe, pump to carburettor half blocked with solder & no banjo bolt filter, I decided to strip the carb cleaned all the jets by compressed air and then rebuilt the carb. Looking at diagrams of the Zenith 26AV carb it shows washers on the main,compensating & slow running jets there's no washers on mine, and there is no progression jet & plug fitted. Before stripping the carb the engine run perfect once started, it did take a bit of starting when cold no problem when hot. Now it will not start, when trying to start petrol drips from the choke end of carb the choke shuts fully & opens fully and the plugs are getting wet with petrol, I have checked all compression's 110, timing set at TDC,, firing order 1342, point gap 12 th tried new pugs with 16 th gap, plenty of petrol in tank.  What am I missing Huh   ( 1938 Ruby 750cc )

Thanks for all replies 
Graham
Sounds like an ignition problem. Take one of the plugs out touch it to earth and see if it's sparking when you turn the engine over with the ignition on. Don't hold the plug lead while you do it!
(15-01-2019, 03:13 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Sounds like an ignition problem. Take one of the plugs out touch it to earth and see if it's sparking when you turn the engine over with the ignition on. Don't hold the plug lead while you do it!

Forgot to mention good spark at all plugs
Graham, what have you changed since it last ran OK?

If you removed the carb to strip it, are you quite sure the new joint to manifold is airtight? A small air leak here will kill starting.

p.s. 1/16" plug gap? I would have used 20 thou; but I doubt this is your problem.
(15-01-2019, 03:08 PM)rubyman Wrote: Carrying on from my last post when I found the petrol pipe, pump to carburettor half blocked with solder & no banjo bolt filter, I decided to strip the carb cleaned all the jets by compressed air and then rebuilt the carb. Looking at diagrams of the Zenith 26AV carb it shows washers on the main,compensating & slow running jets there's no washers on mine, and there is no progression jet & plug fitted. Before stripping the carb the engine run perfect once started, it did take a bit of starting when cold no problem when hot. Now it will not start, when trying to start petrol drips from the choke end of carb the choke shuts fully & opens fully and the plugs are getting wet with petrol, I have checked all compression's 110, timing set at TDC,, firing order 1342, point gap 12 th tried new pugs with 16 th gap, plenty of petrol in tank.  What am I missing Huh   ( 1938 Ruby 750cc )

Thanks for all replies 
Graham
Have you got a modern rotor arm? I have known them to fail by shorting through the centre so that the spark goes straight to earth on the central spindle. It happened on an MOT on a friend's car. I sorted it instantly and the MOT man's flabber was ghasted!
Robert Leigh
(15-01-2019, 07:58 PM)Robert Leigh Wrote: Have you got a modern rotor arm? I have known them to fail by shorting through the centre so that the spark goes straight to earth on the central spindle. It happened on an MOT on a friend's car. I sorted it instantly and the MOT man's flabber was ghasted!

He says, above, that he's got a good spark at the plugs. He wouldn't have that with a duff Rotor Arm. 

Steve
Perhaps if you stop calling her 'it'?
How old is the petrol Graham? If in doubt empty the carb bowl and refill with fresh petrol.
Try starting it with the handle not the starter - the starter will reduce the spark if the voltage is at all reduced.

Peter.
How long is it since the engine last started up. If it's 6 to 8 weeks it could be stale petrol. Remove the float chamber and discard the petrol in it. Fill with new fresh petrol (petrol that is new or kept in an airtight container) then try the starter again with and without choke. If it runs you have proved its the old petrol. If it does start don't discard the old petrol in the tank it will probably run on the old once the engine is hot.

You beat me to it Peter we must have both bean typing it in at the same time

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
The inlet manifold and tops of pistons might be awash with far too much petrol. 'Flooded'.

If there is a spark at the plugs, and plugs are wet with petrol, then flooded sounds most likely.