The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A strange crankcase can you help
I've been sorting through my pile of crankcasses that has gotten to large. To sort there condition. And try and sell some.

We're I came across this.
[attachment=5081]

Nothing strange about that you may think, it's the crankcase they made as a two bearing in the three bearing castings.
These castings were usually fitted to cars around 1936 just before the full three bearing engine was fitted. So a mid Ruby car.

Please look at the pictures closely.

Picture two, shows the crankcase is on the same hight as a box saloon? Not the hight of a Ruby it would be expected to be?

The engine number has never been stamped were it should be? But there does look to be an engine number under the nosecone.

Also check the Birmal, and the part number?

The Birmal, it has an A in front of it?

And the part number, 1A is cast in. And the three numbers are stamped? 

So they decided it's part number after manufacture?

Is this a prototype?

Any help or input welcomed.

Tony.

[attachment=5082]

[attachment=5083]

[attachment=5084]

[attachment=5085]
A replacement part, supplied after sale?
A three-bearing engine for the high chassis sounds like an AVJ van unit.
Or a late Opal.
The Opal/2-seater went to the low frame before the 3-bearing engine was introduced.
(11-11-2018, 07:42 PM)Howard Wright Wrote:
(11-11-2018, 07:38 PM)Colin Reed Wrote: HI All,
Would like to know what year the Austin turned into a Bear and began Hibernating for 9 to 10 months of the year,
This could be a case for the AA on Old age Abuse Darwin would be in his element,
But that's not the end we then go to fairy Tails that this mechanical animal will shrink if it gets rained on or turn into a pumpkin if out after dark
what I would like to suggest as the animal is in the twilight of its life take it out and about, if it breaks an axel or crank or wobbles all over the road and the brakes are not good it can be Fixed and at the very least has had a great time,
And so will you.

Have A laugh no cost
Colin
NZ

I hesitate to suggest that it is not the cars that hibernate..... BUT THEIR OWNERS... (Me included!)

Howard

Hi all,

This is a two bearing engine, with the externals for a three bearing engine.

So we all expect it to be the last of the two bearing engines for a LOW FRAME chassis.

This one is for a HIGH FRAME chassis.

If made for a van or replacement, were the patterns adjustable. Or did they make a hole new pattern. If you make a whole new pattern or alter existing, why part cast part stamp the part number. 

and what looks like it may have been an engine number at the front of the engine is 21532 did they miss an 0 it's not a 1925 engine.

Tony.
(15-01-2019, 03:51 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: The Opal/2-seater went to the low frame before the 3-bearing engine was introduced.

Hi Mike,

I have worked on several late Opals (see below) which were still on high Frames, with front petrol tanks and Ruby running gear - they had a special lowered torque tube anchor bracket (similar to vans you mention?).  It was suggested to me that they were for Military/Commetcial type use.

Ah yes, you're right, Ruairidh, the military contract cars did continue through to 1938 on the high chassis; and presumably if they had a lower torque-tube mounting, that means the crankcase would still be a standard low-chassis height? I was only thinking of the standard catalogued versions. And Tony, I hadn't appreciated the innards were still 2-bearing - that does make it a peculiar beast.
There was one like this on eBay not long ago i.e. 2 bearing but in a 3 brg casting. Not sure about driveline height though.
(15-01-2019, 04:52 PM)Chris KC Wrote: There was one like this on eBay not long ago i.e. 2 bearing but in a 3 brg casting. Not sure about driveline height though.
Tony B - I don't usually come up with wild guesses, but I do know that un-numbered crankcases were available form Longbridge as replacement for damaged ones (and maybe also for OEMs, for eg the early G.E. Brooklands had their own numbers, not the M - type).  The numbers stamped into the case 21532 denote the date 21.5.32, so maybe this was one updated elsewhere for a later car?  Sounds ridiculous, but perhaps I'm entitled to some insanity occasionally?  Cheers,  Bill