The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shock absorber spring washers and lock nuts
Spring shackle???  Wink   = Spring pin.  I do not have W book.
Starting at the spring pin shoulder.......fibre washer which is trapped between pin shoulder and link rubber bush (or in later years the rubber link bush came in 2 parts each side having a rubber built in washer instead of having to have the fibre washers....like top hat section); rubber link bush; fibre washer; key washer (key sits in the groove in the spring pin); spring washer; nut; lock-nut.
The key washer allows the nut/spring washer to be done up to the correct amount key washer just touching fibre washer(as specified somewhere I can't remember where) so that the link can rotate  whilst the key washer/spring washer/nuts remain static.  Without the key washer the spring washer would chew up the fibre washer (/rubber bush shoulder). It can be said that lightly tightened then the spring washer will tend to keep a slight tension between key washer and fibre washer so will take up a certain amount of side thrust wear? Once first nut done up against spring and key washer then lock nut can be put on to lock first nut in place.
Lock nuts ....it is not just the friction of the nut faces.......a fascinating subject on its own - - - 1 thick one thin ----which one goes on first --- both same size--etc...---if you are mathematical minded there are articles showing the locking action through the threads and the reaction forces vectors.
One article I like is 
https://engineerdog.com/2015/01/11/10-tr...fasteners/ 

I will be using nyloc nuts instead of the 2 locknuts and split lockwasher.

Reminder to all -  do not just copy what you found, a previous owner may have been a bodger and done it all wrong.

Dennis

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shock absorber spring washers and lock nuts - by Dennis Nicholas - 07-01-2019, 04:08 PM