The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fantastic but not cheap
(06-01-2019, 06:16 PM)Scarlet O\Hara Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 05:21 PM)Tony Betts Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 05:00 PM)Scarlet O\Hara Wrote: Here's one you made earlier Tony fitted into a crankcase. Impressive just sat on the bench but looks really good in an engine.

Is that one of our ( quarry engineering ). Blown Ulster crankcasses as well.

Tony

Hi Tony, I think it pre-dates the Quarry Engineering crankcases. It is a new casting but I bought it partially machined in about 2005 along with a new casting 10 stud block, 25 stud head and No5 Cozette  - been trying to put it together ever since but keep getting sidetracked with other projects. When do Quarry start making their version?

You are not on your own,I knew of a couple of other similar engines,one took 9 years ,the other 13 years to get running.
Fascinating stuff, Tony! Thank you for explaining.
Thanks IAN,

Gerry, dave passed away 6 years ago. So I would guess he started doing them 20 years ago.

The pump could be from either dave flake or PAUL bonewell. I only had one batch from dave, because paul was to busy.

Tony.
Hi Tony,

Do you Have a Display Case to go with the Hadley Crank and Rods,?
It has to have a Mirrored back.!!!!!

Has anybody set up an Engineering Art Galley Yet.

The oil pump does look like the Quarry Engineering one to me.

Cheers Richard
Hi richard,

I'll say NO.

But I did think perhaps I should until I use it Wink

Tony.
JonE,

Your next Ulster rep is already on ebay.

Currently £2,700

All you need is a body.

Tony.
certainly not going to be my next Ulster rep, but I take your point! Big Grin

.png   ESCHEW ULSTER.png (Size: 127.91 KB / Downloads: 521)
I had news today that my 1:5 inch Phoenix pressure feed crankshaft is cracked, near the back is this normal.
 So my problem is were do I get a new replacement crankshaft. I am in NZ
What is history? Has it been subject to extreme rpm? Has it been dropped on end, cracking the nitride layer? Perhaps before delivery.
Has it been reground, removing the nitride layer?
I presume the nitriding is the main reason for Phoenix reliability but the process is not majic. Stresses go up with the square of revs and 10% stress increase has a huge effect on fatigue life.
It is odd that cranks fail at th rear where bridge bending is supposedly least. I guess the flywheel acts as a rigid anchor. Torque is reckoned not very significant.
I’ve known a few to break. Usually after a hard life or an unsuitable regrind i.e.not enough radius in the corners. I don’t think torque is particularly significant either Bob, but I blame a lot on dynamic imbalance of the flywheel.
Alan Fairless