The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torque tube shims Ruby mk2
I have replaced the silent block bush on my Ruby today.
I originally thought this was a straightforward press out old / press in new job , however as is usually the way , I ended up having to remove the torque tube assembly .
I very carefully checked the shims upon removal and was surprised to find 3 shims at the top but only 2 at the bottom !!
I have reassembled in the exact way but was wondering if the mismatch in shim numbers may cause problems ?
Thanks
Joe.
Has one dropped out of the bottom?
(30-12-2018, 09:23 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: Has one dropped out of the bottom?

Hi Dave
I suspect that this may have been the case during work on the car in the dim and distant past. A great deal my restoration work on this car has been putting right the mechanical work carried out in less critical times !!!
I am thinking that I may be wise to get hold of a suitable shim and balance top and bottom ?
Any ideas where such a shim may be available?

Thanks
Joe.
Joe, have you got means of measuring the thickness you need?
Alan Fairless
Yes, easy to obtain as long as you know the size. If you can measure the difference between the top and the bottom and let us know, I'm sure it's sortable (but I'd bet it's 5 thou).

Steve
Anytihing is likely on cars worked upon, including by "professionals". 
Owners of other makes have to make everything. Shimstock is available and brass particularly can be cut with scissors. Drink cans are useful for one size.The effective thickness must be somewhere between half and all of the missing. The mesh pattern can be checked against standard textbook pics, noting that the cw teeth are the reference.
But with used components often little option but repeat the established large area wear pattern whether ideal or not.
Thanks to all for your replies.
I will dive under the car as soon as I get the chance pop out the shims and measure the difference.
I think I may have some shim stock buried somewhere in my garage but, if not, I will let you know.
Thanks again.
Joe.
Joe,

I have some 5 thou ones you are welcome to, if that turns out to be the size you require.
(01-01-2019, 08:07 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Joe,

I have some 5 thou ones you are welcome to, if that turns out to be the size you require.

Thanks Ruairidh , I may take up your offer if it turns out to be 5 thou I need  Smile.

Thanks Ruairidh , I may take up your offer if it turns out to be 5 thou I need  Smile.

No problem, just PM your address and I will pop some in the post to you.