The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
1921(!) Chummy
A Chummy advertised as 1921 (but actually 1924/5 I think from the engine number and lack of speedometer) has just apparently sold on US ebay for $10,600 (£8600apprx)!  I understood the Vendor was looking for $15.000. Chassis no was not properly shown.
Apparently a sale from a museum. Looked in good condition too. Nice Christmas present for someone!
they've still got to get it back here, assuming thats where its been bought from... and pound is pretty low against dollar now. Parity in airport exchanges someone said - can that be right?

On that subject, where ARE all these cars going to - is it sustainable all these cars coming back to UK from NZ, USA and SA? Or do they satisfy restorers needs and then end up going back to Europe or wherever?
(19-12-2018, 03:23 PM)JonE Wrote: they've still got to get it back here, assuming thats where its been bought from... and pound is pretty low against dollar now. Parity in airport exchanges someone said - can that be right?

On that subject, where ARE all these cars going to - is it sustainable all these cars coming back to UK from NZ, USA and SA? Or do they satisfy restorers needs and then end up going back to Europe or wherever?

Realistic rate today would have been around £9200, then £400 to get it to the docks £800 Shipping & £(Say) £500 UK charges (incl VAT & 5% duty). So ex UK port a little over $ = £.
People are bringing cars back from NZ & South Africa as well as USA regularly. If the price is right....!
But there are a LOT of elderly (20's & 30's) American cars on eg Ebay UK at pretty low prices. 50's US pick ups are also popular, although may are sold on into Europe.
(19-12-2018, 11:28 PM)David.H Wrote:
(19-12-2018, 03:23 PM)JonE Wrote: they've still got to get it back here, assuming thats where its been bought from... and pound is pretty low against dollar now. Parity in airport exchanges someone said - can that be right?

Realistic rate today would have been around £9200, then £400 to get it to the docks £800 Shipping & £(Say) £500 UK charges (incl VAT & 5% duty). So ex UK port a little over $ = £.
People are bringing cars back from NZ & South Africa as well as USA regularly. If the price is right....!
But there are a LOT of elderly (20's & 30's) American cars on eg Ebay UK at pretty low prices. 50's US pick ups are also popular, although may are sold on into Europe.
David, do you have experience of importing from USA, Your figures seem temptingly low.
I have considered import, the quotes fees put me off!
(19-12-2018, 11:40 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:

David, do you have experience of importing from USA, Your figures seem temptingly low.
Yes I have brought a few cars in from the USA, not as a trader! Send me a PM with your phone/email number & I will fill you in some details
(20-12-2018, 08:48 AM)David.H Wrote:
(19-12-2018, 11:40 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:

Yes I have brought a few cars in from the USA, not as a trader! Send me a PM with your phone/email number & I will fill you in some details
I'm the one that bought the little Austin so it will be coming back to the UK. I have arranged shipping so would imagine it will hit the shores sometime late Feb. I have had a few 7's  but this is the earliest.
I have just joined this site to get help with getting the car properly registered as, I think, a 1924 car I have got a copy of the Title and is registered as a 1921 which makes it very ahead of its time.
Well done
good luck for a safe crossing. Pictures needed on this thread!!
I’ve been given a picture of the car with the UK plates on it, OK 9365 I just need to prove those plates were linked to the chassis number!

[img]blob:http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/03b477aa-e504-4213-9eb6-0adf515b9d44[/img]

Unfortunately, nothing showing on the DVLA tax website.