The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VSCC autosolos
I'm hoping to enter an auto solo next year with my 15 year old daughter,  does anyone know how  car insurance is affected,  do I have to insure her as well ,as its on private land ? and the car needs a second throttle spring, anyone got a picture of it attached . Thanks for any advice
Since no one has responded yet, can I say welcome to the world of autosolos. Only two organised by VSCC this year, at Silverstone and Oulton Park. Your daughter wil be most welcome, Andrew Tarring's daughter drove my Ruby before she had a liscence. No insurance of any sort needed. My car has the Malcolm Lyon Patent Double Throttle Return Spring, involving the spring attached to a bicycle wheel spoke on an improvised bracket mounted on the chasis rail, the engine not currently in the car I can only describe rather than illustrate but there are numbers of others out there to show you. I look forward to seeing you in the icy Siberian blasts that sweep across Silverstone next year.
The thing to remember about the "second spring" is that it's mythical.
The Blue Book says that the throttle return spring must act directly on the the throttle spindle (so that if the throttle control mechanism fails the throttle will shut). This frequently means a second spring on a road car (and a second one is always wise in any case) but the important part is that it acts directly on the throttle spindle.

Blue Book wording:
5.4.2. Be equipped with a positive method of throttle closing by means of external spring/springs so that in the event of failure of any part of the throttle linkage the throttle(s) are sprung closed.
I may also interested in a Auto Solo, but can anyone tell me the difference between a Auto solo and Driving test VSCC event.

I did look at the VSCC website but not much info on Autosolo's.
Steve, thanks very much for that, looking forward to it, if anyone out there has a photo of second throttle spring attachment that'd be great. 
Paul, as far as I know there is no reversing in an Auto solo
The difference between an Autosolo and the traditional Driving Test is that the latter will involve a fair amount of reversing which is not good for transmission and halfshafts.    Autosolos only involve forward motion and are basically a squirt around a course set up with traffic cones, the tricky bit is remembering which way to go but they are nowhere like as involved as driving tests.   The runs are timed and an Austin 7 appears to be the ideal vehicle, as in so many types of motor sport.
(18-12-2018, 11:23 AM)morrisminor Wrote: Steve, thanks very much for that, looking forward to it, if anyone out there has a photo of second throttle spring attachment that'd be great. 
Paul, as far as I know there is no reversing in an Auto solo

It all depends on your car and, particularly, what carburettor is fitted. If you can tell us that I can certainly supply photos of how to do it with an updraught Zenith and an SU. A side draught Zenith will be similar to an SU in this respect. 

Steve
Steve,  it's a37 Ruby, so zenith side draught
Probably best to contact the organiser and/or your insurance company. Your daughter may need to a be club member, even to be a passenger
When I contacted the vscc, they didn't mention about her being a member