The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-War Photo
Can anyone identify this model, i was given this photo by an elderly couple from Abergavenny 40yrs ago, they told me this photo was taken in Kent. they told me they were always worried about the car catching fire due to the sparks from the front fabric coupling and a leaky petrol tank, please feel free to use this photo in the gallery.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Gordon England Stadium

[Image: 158_01_05_18_3_27_43.jpeg]
Looks like the running boards had rusted off the car
In Kent? I had a Morris 8 Tourer In the late 60’s whose
Running boards had suffered a similar fate.

Am I correct in thinking that the Stadium model came out in
mid 1929 and all brightwork would have been chrome?

Also some Stadiums were ply and fabric covered
Sometimes with an expanded metal mesh formed tail.

Some Stadium were alloy skinned and painted? Or still fabric covered?
Perhaps the bearded wizard can put me right?

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
I also believe the Stadium came out in mid-1929, in which case it's probable that early cars had nickel plated radiators (chrome from November 1929). I'm not up to speed on precise construction details, but certainly there were both fabric-covered and all-metal bodies; metal bodies did not have the moulding strip on the scuttle. Examples of each type can be viewed on Austin Harris' website:

http://austinharris.co.uk/search/Coachbu..._all%3A103
Here's UL 5219 taken this year

Austin Seven Stadium

Other stadiums with metal rather than I fabric bodies are extant but I'm not sure about originality as several other features incl. no running boards are different.

[url=https://vintageman.zenfolio.com/p432188189/hb203a3aa#hb203a3aa][/url]
That's an interesting photo of UL 5219, as it shows a fabric body without the horizontal seam on the scuttle.

The Light Car & Cylecar Magazine of 29th June 1929 mentions that the Stadium model was introduced at the preceding Motor Show - ie October 1928 - so early examples would definitely have a nickel radiator. The Stadium sold for £135 including Tecalemit one-shot chassis lubrication, whereas the Cup model which continued to be sold beside it sold for £140 - I'm surprised the Cup continued to survive against it's cheaper and more modern sibling!
More Stadium photos here:

https://gordonenglandregister.wordpress....y-details/

And here:

https://gordonenglandregister.wordpress....o-archive/
(16-12-2018, 02:06 PM)robert regan Wrote: Can anyone identify this model, i was given this photo by an elderly couple from Abergavenny 40yrs ago, they told me this photo was taken in Kent. they told me they were always worried about the car catching fire due to the sparks from the front fabric coupling and a leaky petrol tank, please feel free to use this photo in the gallery.

Another Stadium with the running board missing - or are they the same car?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4772]

I think they are different cars; the Kent car appears to have chrome plated headlamps and radiator cap, different windscreen (also plated) and has the GE emblem in front of the rear wheel. If the beach photo precedes the Kent photo (ie the headlamps were plated later) it seems unlikely that the GE emblem would be missing in the earlier photo and added later (also the badge bar would have been removed). The beach photo looks to be mid 1930s, so conversely if the Kent photo was the earlier pic, it seems unlikely the headlamps reverted to the painted shells. The exhaust route differs too, which is unlikely to have been changed within the first few years of its life ...
Like you I cannot find enough identical features to assume they are the same vehicle, funny to both have the running board missing though, isn’t it?