The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Restoring a Top Hat
Progress again!

It's been a long winter and as usual, I was side tracked in between work periods, mainly with fairly hefty maintenance on the MGF, which I'm glad to say is all finished now. I also had the engine out of the RK saloon to fix a slipping clutch, unfortunately, it's got to come out again to attend to one of the starter motor threads which has gone soft.

I started by glazing the back window, this had to be recut because the first attempt didn't fit. The replacement is much better. 

.jpg   DSC_1049s.JPG (Size: 31.09 KB / Downloads: 311)

Next job was to strip and inspect the front seat frames. The drivers seat was bent out of shape and needed some welding here and there (the unskilled MIG operator had been at work again) but the passenger seat was badly rusted at the base of the seat back. Devil of a job to weld, I measured the steel and it's 22 SWG, beaten. Tack and bash again. Seat frames have now been dispatched to David Nightingale for re-upholstering.

On to the wiring. I remember that the dynamo wasn't working from when I briefly ran the engine back in 2018 so I tested it on the bench.
To do this, I connect F and D together and string a 12V, 21W bulb from F/D to earth. Then I use a 1/2" WW socket in the battery electric drill to spin the dynamo. The bulb should light, indicating that the dynamo is generating current, just need to watch the speed in order that the bulb doesn't blow.

No surprises, the bulb wasn't lighting. The brushes came out (seized after 90 years of sitting, doing nothing), commutator cleaned, various wires re-terminated, still no joy. In my experience, the CAV DFL  can be temperamental and difficult. I had one, years ago where the armature shorted to earth at 40 MPH. The thing exploded, like a small grenade with all the aluminium at the brushes end broken.
Eventually, I found some alignment marks, indicating the the dynamo had been incorrectly assembled (the body or field alignment with the alloy brush holder was incorrect). Put this right and hey presto! The bulb lights up!

.jpg   DSC_1048s.JPG (Size: 37.21 KB / Downloads: 311)

The working dynamo is fitted and I go on to start wiring.

I usually wire a system circuit and then test each system to ensure it's correct before proceeding. In this case, the first circuits are charging and magneto earth (stop). Confusingly, to stop a magneto (and hence the engine), you have to connect the LT circuit to ground, via the switch panel, so switching on involves breaking the switch, switching off making the switch. Confusing huh?

All that done and it's time to start the engine again. The car has recently been retrieved from a rather damp wooden shed, where it's been sitting since November but, the power of the SR4 magneto is undeniable and it's able to start the engine first stab of the starter. Looking at the ammeter shows I have a nice 6A being delivered to the battery. It does go to just under an indicated 8A at higher revs but I'll need to check it with the AVO8 at some stage as I don't really trust the calibration of Lucas ammeters.

.jpg   DSC_1041s.JPG (Size: 23.92 KB / Downloads: 310)

The rest of this week and next week will involve the lighting circuits. I'll be adding brake lights and flashing indicators (it's a driver remember) which will involve some tin bashing to make up the required brackets. More on this later.
Slow work

Don't know what's going on with the photos at the moment, they keep disappearing.... Sad 

One of the problems with this car is the amount of small bits that were lost or discarded by the clowns responsible for the "Cosmetic Restoration" in the eighties. One (or two) of the parts lost were the brass ferrules that the headlamp cables run through as they enter the body. Here are the ones on my Chummy:

.jpg   DSC_1053s.JPG (Size: 15.02 KB / Downloads: 518)

They are described in the parts list as "Cable bush and nut", BD67

.jpg   DSC_1064s.jpg (Size: 51.94 KB / Downloads: 518)

I decided to make some. It was tricky because they are very thin and I didn't want them to be too oversize. In fact, I've made the heads a bit small and they suffer from the same fault the originals do in that I can't quite get a piece of three core armoured cable through, so I'll have to do the same as I did with the Chummy and strip the armour off from the ferrule onwards. Here's my effort, alright, the nuts are a bit heavy; I would make them smaller if I was doing the job again. The thread had to be very fine as the OD of the bush was 3/8 and the hole was 5/16. I chose a 3/8 x 40 ME thread, which worked well.

.jpg   DSC_1055s.JPG (Size: 67.75 KB / Downloads: 518)

Here is one inserted into the body, looks better than poking the wire through a blank hole.

.jpg   DSC_1059s.JPG (Size: 21.17 KB / Downloads: 517)

Spent several hours on this job, good job we work for the love of it!
Lovely job! I would have cheated and bunged in a rubber grommet!
Here's some that I made copied from a '29 car and fitted to the bulkhead.

I would think rubber grommets would be easier on the wiring  ?
    These are mine. Originally they appear to have been Ni. plated as the one on the right shows.
Winkin' n Blinkin'

This stage of the restoration (i.e. wiring) is almost finished so it was time to start the engine again and pull the car out of the garage for a photocall.

.jpg   DSC_1075s.JPG (Size: 57.13 KB / Downloads: 305)

.jpg   DSC_1077s.JPG (Size: 46.81 KB / Downloads: 305)

Oh dear, the purists will hate the indicators and the stoplights but this car is a driver remember and we live on a busy main road, making turning into the drive hazardous without indicators.

Next part is a final check over the chassis and make sure everything is tight/greased/split pinned and I can start the running in between showers. The inside of the car is still completely bare as the seats are away at the trimmers and I can't have any help with the headlining from a friend until the Covid situation allows. I had to borrow a single seat from the Chummy to get the car mobile.

Must remember to put the reflectors on this afternoon but I think a cup of tea first........
Absolutely beautiful and who can blame you for putting on the indicators...I’ve never had them on any of my Sevens, but I’m working out almost invisible (but highly visible when working!) leds once the car is back on the road as to get out of the village we have to cross the A43, which is used as an extension to Silverstone!
It never rains but it pours.......

I had noticed a damp patch under the front of the car last week, after I ran the engine. Did a final round of checking, greasing and tightening and found some water inside the bottom of the radiator shell. I naively attributed this to overfilling and water being pushed out of the overflow.

Started and ran the engine for half an hour yesterday and ran around the drive. When I came back into the garage, water was steadily dripping from the front. Closer inspection reveals that the core has suddenly developed a leak, 1/3 of the way down from the top on the off side.

.jpg   DSC_1081s.JPG (Size: 45.55 KB / Downloads: 227)

I'm annoyed about this as the radiator was recored during the cosmetic restoration in the eighties. I admit it's probably stood empty for most of the intervening years and this is the first time it's been heated and cooled regularly but even so - I've often used original radiators and not had problems. The recore was a Marston Radiators job, done with zig-zag ("A" film?) so was probably expensive in 1985, shame the warranty ran out in 1986!

So what to do? I've ordered a bottle of Radweld for starters, might slow it down a bit so that I can get some more testing done. Obviously another new core is required but what type? The original may well have been honeycomb and that's expensive to recreate. Another zig-zag? Could do a modern core with a honeycomb sheet in front....

What do you guys think??? Anyone have recent experience of radiator restorers?
A “proper” radiator repairer could trace that leak and run some solder into it without a problem...it will fix it permanently and it should cost a fortune...it’s finding a proper repairer these days!