The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Photos for Robin Boyce which show a Mulliner saloon transformed in to Gordon Puzey's
Posted up for Robin....

.jpg   Screenshot 2018-11-28 at 12.07.56.jpg (Size: 69.85 KB / Downloads: 532)

.jpg   Screenshot 2018-11-28 at 12.06.59.jpg (Size: 64.28 KB / Downloads: 531)

.jpg   Screenshot 2018-11-28 at 12.08.18.jpg (Size: 70.29 KB / Downloads: 531)
Thanks Ruairidh.  Trying to put these in the Gallery which objected to PDF format.  Now found the originals (plus photo of his Chummy now) sent by Gordon and put in A7CA 2011A.
Great pictures! Mid 1950s? I'm amused by the stance of the guy on the right in the middle picture - it is of its time; no-one stands like that any more.

I assume that the Mulliner body was scrapped. Certainly rarer and probably considerably more desirable than the chummy today.

Should this be hidden from DVLA????
(29-11-2018, 04:05 PM)Martin Prior Wrote: ... Should this be hidden from DVLA????

Not really; PX8412 survives with a replacement body, just like all those modern Ulster copies  Big Grin
May I first say I am not guilty of this unforgivable act. I would love to put a Mulliner body back on my chummy if anyone has one kicking around in the back of their garage.
The body was changed in 1952 by the late Arthur Smith and his mates in the yard at the back of the Red Lion in Coleshill, Bucks. My car is PX8412 and PX8421 still survives with the original Mulliner body. The two cars were probably in the dealers at the same time and were photographed together at the Bristol A7 Clubs rally last year.
It was also the age of the sports coat. Seemed to be worn for everything.
A huge contrast with the typical 25 year old car today. Here with very pedantic w.o.f requirements, only the styling reveals the age. I can recall from schooldays in the 1950s many very rough cars and light truck conversions.
I have been digging in the archives and found a picture of the 'new' Chummy being christened in 1952. At that stage it still had the Mulliner headlights and side lights. It now has the correct Chummy headlights on the scuttle. Correct is not really a term that should be used for this car but as it can no longer be a Mulliner I try to keep it as a correct 1928 Chummy.

The other picture was taken alongside PX 8421 which is still a correct Mulliner.

Great photos.
Gordon, it was good to meet you at the Bristol rally and to have the two cars together, thanks for posting the photo.
Fantastic story and photos!
(29-11-2018, 09:17 PM)Gordon Puzey Wrote: I have been digging in the archives and found a picture of the 'new' Chummy being christened in 1952. At that stage it still had the Mulliner headlights and side lights. It now has the correct Chummy headlights on the scuttle. Correct is not really a term that should be used for this car but as it can no longer be a Mulliner I try to keep it as a correct 1928 Chummy.

The other picture was taken alongside PX 8421 which is still a correct Mulliner.

I have to ask- why? Or have I missed something.

Is the 'Mulliner' missing the sidelamps that seem to have also gone missing from the 'Chummy'.