The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine - rebuild or replace?
My first seven is now about a year old in my ownership. It is a 1934 Type 65 which has its original engine, so the crankcase is a precious item which I do not want to put at risk.

Talking to previous owners it seems that the engine has never been quite right since the car was restored in the early nineties.

I plan to rebuild the engine over the winter, intending to store the old crank and camshaft so that the engine could be put back to original if required. I shall install a John Barlow crank, Paul Bonewell cam and may reuse the rods depending what I find when I strip it down. I intend fitting slipper pistons and balancing the combustion chambers. I shall get the crank and flywheel balanced and since I need to install new valve seats I shall go for enlarged inlet valves.

Several people have advised me that I am making a mistake, and that what I should do is retain the original engine on a pallet for posterity and build up another engine to use in the car. This probably makes financial sense should I wish to sell the car at some point, but my philosophy is to preserve the vehicle in its original state as much as possible, but with the objective of using it rather than sitting looking at it.

What does the team think?
Each to his own Colin, but that's what I would do - mothball the original sports engine (perhaps meanwhile bring it back to proper fettle) and build a dependable (and perhaps expendable) engine for daily driving.

I'm all for using our cars, but sports engines are very precious now and worth keeping intact - especially if you have 'energetic' usage in mind.
Rebuild the original engine as you plan with reversible mods and new crank & rods. It's a car and is meant to be used.
I'm slightly tired of the originality brigade believing that decrepitude is the preferred position. The makers of cars designed them to look good and be driven. It's OK to keep spot on original cars original but ones that have never been restored are rocking horse poo.
I would fit new rods with the Barlow crank, together with all other changes you mentioned.
I'm struggling a bit with the logic here - the crank and camshaft are worth preserving, but the case and block aren't?
Chris,
By replacing the crank and rods and fitting a softer cam, this will in turn preserve the case and the block. Without further information from Colin as to the size of the bores in the block ( Chromidium? ) it may not take a re-bore to suit slipper pistons. I would have no qualms about re-sleeving the block if required.
isn't it more that the crank and camshaft are chocolate teapots, and would result in the crankcase becoming vulnerable? They are now only valuable in their association to originality, presuamably.

I guess the question is: is there still any real risk to a 65 crankcase IF rebuilt as everyones' thoughts? I would have thought that it must be a little higher because it will be physically being used vs. not being used at all. But that is the only reason for putting it aside, if you don't like risk in any form!
I'm with Charles and Chris, Colin. 

If you want to keep your 65 as a 65 re-build the existing engine with a new crank and rods, carry out you planned modifications and use the thing. If you put the existing engine into store and build up a new engine, unless you can source and use another, similar, sports crankcase for that build what you will have is a Type 65 with a touring engine. I've seen this plan so many time with so many makes of car and the original engine never makes it back into the car, ever!!

I have friends that have a Nippy used for VSCC Sprints and Hillclimbs. A lovely car but when acquired, with a replacement touring engine. They spent a lot of time looking for a Nippy engine so as to return the car to its standard specification and eventually found one at auction. It cost them a lot of money (I was at the auction!!) and then a lot more to re-build that engine with steel crank and rods etc. The car has since done around 10 seasons of sprinting and hill climbing without issue. Many on here know the car and the owners I refer to and will confirm the story. 

Re-building the existing engine with steel crank and rods is a sensible route to take. Rather than preserving the crankcase, removing and storing the engine destroys the car as the original Type 65 it is. 

Steve
(21-11-2018, 08:32 PM)JonE Wrote: isn't it more that the crank and camshaft are chocolate teapots, and would result in the crankcase becoming vulnerable? They are now only valuable in their association to originality, presuamably.

I guess the question is: is there still any real risk to a 65 crankcase IF rebuilt as everyones' thoughts? I would have thought that it must be a little higher because it will be physically being used vs. not being used at all.  But that is the only reason for putting it aside, if you don't like risk in any form!

This is why I turned down a sports engine when I was offered one myself years ago Jon, I wanted a car I could drive without fear of doing something precious a mischief. I'd love to have an original Nippy engine but in truth it would just be taking up space in my garage. As we have seen in recent threads any engine rebuild - but especially those with sporting pretentions - can on occasions go badly awry. It's entirely understandable that others take a different view of course...
(21-11-2018, 06:04 PM)Colin Wilks Wrote: My first seven is now about a year old in my ownership. It is a 1934 Type 65 which has its original engine, so the crankcase is a precious item which I do not want to put at risk.

Talking to previous owners it seems that the engine has never been quite right since the car was restored in the early nineties.

I plan to rebuild the engine over the winter, intending to store the old crank and camshaft so that the engine could be put back to original if required. I shall install a John Barlow crank, Paul Bonewell cam and may reuse the rods depending what I find when I strip it down. I intend fitting slipper pistons and balancing the combustion chambers. I shall get the crank and flywheel balanced and since I need to install new valve seats I shall go for enlarged inlet valves.

Several people have advised me that I am making a mistake, and that what I should do is retain the original engine on a pallet for posterity and build up another engine to use in the car. This probably makes financial sense should I wish to sell the car at some point, but my philosophy is to preserve the vehicle in its original state as much as possible, but with the objective of using it rather than sitting looking at it.

What does the team think?
Where is the mistake in your plan Colin ?
The engine is not a low milage un messed about with item - It has been rebuilt badly by butchers (hence its poor running).
Your plan in my view if carried out well protects it for the future. As part of that process you will have to undo the butchery. Plus you will then have the pleasure of using it.
Hard to fault.